ADVERTISEMENT

Toxic Masulinity

I'll 2nd that. Why would they try to market to such a small part of the population at the risk of losing a much bigger share? I really dont care and Ill still use their products, but it just doesnt seem like a smart business decision. It would be like me moving to Utah and running ads that espouse the Korans teachings. What is the point of doing something like that from a business perspective?

Reactions: UCFWayne
What is the point of doing something like that from a business perspective?

Water cooler talk must be it. The data must show that its worth more than the 5 blowhards who will stop buying their products. It's the only thing that makes sense.

I'll 2nd that. Why would they try to market to such a small part of the population at the risk of losing a much bigger share?
Water cooler talk must be it. The data must show that its worth more than the 5 blowhards who will stop buying their products. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Curious what is going on behind the scenes as they find out about the transgender commercial.

Transgender people make up what, like .001% of the population? Were they concerned that Bic and Schick were running a gravy train over there? In the meantime, there has to be at least 1% of the population that will see that commercial and decide they "don't want to buy stuff from a company who supports an unnatural lifestyle". There's no way they get ahead in this, and quite honestly I can't imagine anyone who uses a different brand saying "they agree with my values, I'm switching to their product". If the point of this is to take a stand then so be it, but from a business standpoint its just stupid.

Gillette thinks that by being as Woke as possible, people will forget that they hilariously charge $20 for 4 frigging razors.

Gillette thinks that by being as Woke as possible, people will forget that they hilariously charge $20 for 4 frigging razors.

It's absolutely about showing how "in tune" they are and being socially conscious. They used to target teenage boys by sending them a complimentary Gillette razor when they turned 18. But that's totally sexist in 2019. And I couldn't agree more. Half these woke millennial boys don't even shave any longer and grow hip beards to show how cool they are.

It's absolutely about showing how "in tune" they are and being socially conscious. They used to target teenage boys by sending them a complimentary Gillette razor when they turned 18. But that's totally sexist in 2019. And I couldn't agree more. Half these woke millennial boys don't even shave any longer and grow hip beards to show how cool they are.

Yep. And as Crazy has said, it's really dumb. The overwhelming majority of people buying their products are not Woke SJWs, they're regular dudes who just want a razor at a decent price and probably don't want to be preached at. The Woke crowd that would eat up their ads don't shave anyways.

I think they hit it perfectly given that it’s generated a ton of conversation and a huge number of views.

I don’t have a problem with this ad compared to the other one. This ad didn’t have that preachy judgmental attitude the other one had. This one simply feels like an attention grab, whereas the other one was an obvious agenda-pusher.

I think they hit it perfectly given that it’s generated a ton of conversation and a huge number of views.

I don’t have a problem with this ad compared to the other one. This ad didn’t have that preachy judgmental attitude the other one had. This one simply feels like an attention grab, whereas the other one was an obvious agenda-pusher.
Oh, its a great strategy for generating conversation. The question is whether or not its a good business strategy. Are they trying to affect culture or sell a product?

Ads that are effective for men:

Old spice's ridiculous commercials that they started doing about 5 years ago. Until then, i only thought of Old Spice as the weird smelling powder stuff my grandpa used.

Bud Light's WAAAASSSSUUUUP! commercials. Still don't drink the stuff, but everybody remembers those ads.

Kmart's I shipped my pants ad. "I SHIPPED THE BED!"

Reebok's Terry Tate office manager commercials.

Oh, its a great strategy for generating conversation. The question is whether or not its a good business strategy. Are they trying to affect culture or sell a product?

They actually had issues with sales since the ridiculous first round of talking down to their consumers. Maybe the woke marketing staff doesn't care.

Maybe they are targeting beta males that have been neglected in razor commercials?

Well, if we really want to get 'realistic,' some women have to shave their face from 1-2 times/month to 1-2 times/week, nothing like a man, but it gets dark enough after awhile.
Especially brunettes of Italian, Balkan and similar lineage, after years as depilatory creame no longer works, and electrolysis takes a long time over many treatments (let alone one has to let it grow out).

Wasn't there a scene in a sitcom about such?

I'll 2nd that. Why would they try to market to such a small part of the population at the risk of losing a much bigger share? I really dont care and Ill still use their products, but it just doesnt seem like a smart business decision.
That's why they're doing it. They're taking a stand to say, "We're willing to lose customers in order to say, 'talking about this should be the norm, and not offend anyone'"

I hated them Gillette for their hypocritical stance on 'toxic masculinity,' when they 'objectified' women far more than the average male, but this ... I think is positive.

They actually had issues with sales since the ridiculous first round of talking down to their consumers. Maybe the woke marketing staff doesn't care.

Maybe they are targeting beta males that have been neglected in razor commercials?

I bet Pajama Boy is a loyal Gillette customer now. He busts out that Mach3 for every annual shave now.

Why Meryl Streep Thinks the Term 'Toxic Masculinity' Is Problematic
https://www.menshealth.com/entertai...H&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media
She's learning. I think her 'wake up call' was in Europe, when an aspiring African director asked her why Africans weren't represented, and she basically said that Hollywood spoke for them.

I don't blame any actress or minority from Hollywood for feeling the way they do, they work in the most sexist and racist industry. The rest of society and corporate America had moved well away from such 25 years earlier as a result of '91 Anita Hill (even if she's debated, she brought it to the forefront) and the hypocrisy of the '94 "Family Values" Republican class (that ended up with the same divorce and infidelity rates as others in Congress).

The average American is getting tired of the hypocrisy of Hollywood engine, and more and more actresses and minorities in Hollywood are starting to realize most of American is 25 years ahead of their own industry.

Glad to see that Gillette may have suffered from this awful commercial. I’m not really one to boycott, but I was very happy to switch shaving creams after that sexist/racist/idiotic garbage.

It takes 2 seconds to Google Gillette's sales numbers from 2016 2017 and 2018. I know you're not exactly a business expert but it wasn't the commercial or the right wing boycott that cost them $8 Billion.
so why has gillette quietly started to shift their ad sales technique?

so why has gillette quietly started to shift their ad sales technique?
I don't know. You can deal in hypotheses or you can look up the actual fact that Gillettes numbers have been awful for years and trending downward. But hey I'm sure it's just the power of MAGA chuds being crybabies about an ad they didn't like.

I don't know. You can deal in hypotheses or you can look up the actual fact that Gillettes numbers have been awful for years and trending downward. But hey I'm sure it's just the power of MAGA chuds being crybabies about an ad they didn't like.
lol at $8 billion being the continuation of a downward trend.

lol at $8 billion being the continuation of a downward trend.
CORRECTION: The Washington Examiner has updated this story to remove the suggestion that Gillette lost $8 billion due to its #MeToo-inspired advertising campaign. We regret that this article did not adhere to the Washington Examiner 's normal standards and procedures.

If your nut job news sites can admit they were wrong why can't you?

So Gillette was in a downward sales cycle for years and their big idea to turn things around was to run an ad that falsely accused most of their clientele of being degenerates, while attempting to shame them for things they never actually did?

Bravo! Well done, Gillette. I'm sure the Woke hipsters who thought it was awesome will save your sales, as soon as they hit puberty or decide to cut their shitty hipster beards.

CORRECTION: The Washington Examiner has updated this story to remove the suggestion that Gillette lost $8 billion due to its #MeToo-inspired advertising campaign. We regret that this article did not adhere to the Washington Examiner 's normal standards and procedures.

If your nut job news sites can admit they were wrong why can't you?
did i link that website? pretty sure i linked reuters but ok. still doesnt change that $8B

LOL Admit when they're wrong??!?! Are you kidding me? They don't have the balls.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOL

lest we forget
calling fab a racist
covington kids
russian collusion
claiming trump nefariously moved money from a dept to a golfing buddy, only to find out it was for emergency medical for kids.
alabama woman shot while pregnant, claims racism even though shooter was also black.
victim shaming an 8 year old
hospital patient with iv being questioned outside the hospital by cops
that time you claimed mcdonalds burger flippers made $4.85
insisting betsy ross might be a racist.

did i link that website? pretty sure i linked reuters but ok. still doesnt change that $8B
Yeah dawg, I'm sure you're browsing Reuters. [roll]

You see news on nut job sites or Facebook groups and google the story so you can change the link out for something you won't get mocked for. I can all but guarantee you saw this on some "Freedom Lovers for Trump" Facebook group.

Yeah dawg, I'm sure you're browsing Reuters. [roll]

You see news on nut job sites or Facebook groups and google the story so you can change the link out for something you won't get mocked for. I can all but guarantee you saw this on some "Freedom Lovers for Trump" Facebook group.
lol ok guy. feel free to look at my post and check if it was edited. btw, thanks for the great facebook group suggestion :p

lol ok guy. feel free to look at my post and check if it was edited. btw, thanks for the great facebook group suggestion :p

Just remind him that he shared fake news RUSSIA! hysteria for 2 years that blew up in his face

Because the beta males that loved the ads
^^^^ This +1,000

I've never been Alpha male, but I'm definitely not Beta like so many of my Progressive friends who are so f'ing lip service to this compared to their youth, and very much hypocritical. One of the reasons they cannot stand me is that I remember everything they did in their youth, and it interferes with their lip service (otherwise I wouldn't say a thing).

Same Progressives who chastized me for being pro-marriage equality in the '90s too. Sigh ... and people wonder why I like dealing with Conservatives more? At least they are consistent and honest about their views and, more importantly, history.

ADVERTISEMENT