ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ UCLA to Big 10?

Having super conferences where everyone doesn’t play each other makes more sense. Have undefeated teams playing in Championship more often than not and the buildup is better. OOC games wouldn’t ever have to happen except meaningless Bowl games or a preseason game that is only exhibition.

I'm not sure I love this. This has always been the fear of many having essentially 2 super conferences and everyone else. I hope I'm wrong but Big12, ACC and Pac12 could be potentially screwed here. Trust me Oregon and Washington won't just be sitting around and being like "ok I guess bring in Boise" and that's that. And you better believe Clemson, Miami and FSU are crapping down the pant of their legs as well. This is a big step towards what many fear and unless UCF is magically gobbled up into one of these super conferences we may be left playing the likes of Wake Forest, Oregon State and Texas Techb in who knows what will be left of the college landscape.
At least if that happens soon we can save $125M on the stadium and our Saturdays will free up like @Poolside Knight keeps saying

I'm not sure I love this. This has always been the fear of many having essentially 2 super conferences and everyone else. I hope I'm wrong but Big12, ACC and Pac12 could be potentially screwed here. Trust me Oregon and Washington won't just be sitting around and being like "ok I guess bring in Boise" and that's that. And you better believe Clemson, Miami and FSU are crapping down the pant of their legs as well. This is a big step towards what many fear and unless UCF is magically gobbled up into one of these super conferences we may be left playing the likes of Wake Forest, Oregon State and Texas Techb in who knows what will be left of the college landscape.
As I do agree, I dont like much of this, I would still rather play Wake, Tech, and Oregon State compared to UNT, FAU, UTEP.

But yes, your point is valid and I am a little nervous UCF gets UCF'd here. But optimistic at the same time. We are in better positioning than we ever have been to at least be at the table.

Reactions: tjb74
As I do agree, I dont like much of this, I would still rather play Wake, Tech, and Oregon State compared to UNT, FAU, UTEP.

But yes, your point is valid and I am a little nervous UCF gets UCF'd here. But optimistic at the same time. We are in better positioning than we ever have been to at least be at the table.
Yes but boy these blue bloods keep moving the goalposts. B12 should grab Colorado, both Arizona schools, memphis, boise, and anyone that brings tv eyes to conference

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Yes but boy these blue bloods keep moving the goalposts. B12 should grab Colorado, both Arizona schools, memphis, boise, and anyone that brings tv eyes to conference
100%

I'd like Oregon, AZ schools, and Utah as the 4. But any mix of Oregon, Stanford, etc.

B12 may not need to go after a Boise or Memphis.

At this point you could take the top 16 teams from Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC make a superconference, and it still wouldn't be as good as the SEC and Big 12. Forget 64 teams, this is a Big 2 and nothing else. It's just a question of how much the Big 10 and SEC want to expand.

I wouldnt be the least bit shocked to see several ACC schools try and move to either the SEC or Big 10 too. I cant see how Clemson, UNC, Duke, Louisville, and FSU would want to be left out of these superconferences.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Let's not get ahead of ourselves....this is based off some tweets. If it's really true we'll probably know over the next few days or weeks. Until then, it's some tweets....which, well, take them for what they are.
Dude it's on CBS Sports.

No way they keep some of the Pac12 schools in that merger while leaving out some of the schools in the new Big12. That SSN tweet is baseless.
I shared it for the "oh shit" -- maybe a little too fear mongering. I agree it is baseless but damnit cant we catch a break.

Maybe this ends up better for B12. Instead of adding USF and Boise we can add four legit P12 schools. Or "good" P12 schools.

This is where the ACC should go on offense and just add us, wvu, cinci, and Houston. Go on offense for once and put aside the fears of us competing with FSU/Miami. They wont ever do it though

Wouldnt it make more sense for the PAC 12 to pursue the Big 12 teams rather than the other way around? Losing USC and UCLA obviously hurts, but the conference is still made up of large flagship institutions, where as the Big 12 is kind of a mixed bag. WHy wouldnt the PAC 12 go after schools like Kansas, K state, Ok state, maybe Baylor, instead of all the PAC 12 schools looking to go the other way?

This is where the ACC should go on offense and just add us, wvu, cinci, and Houston. Go on offense for once and put aside the fears of us competing with FSU/Miami. They wont ever do it though
Seems more plausible they go after established P5 schools, like West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame (they will eventually have to fall in line), TCU/Baylor.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Wouldnt it make more sense for the PAC 12 to pursue the Big 12 teams rather than the other way around? Losing USC and UCLA obviously hurts, but the conference is still made up of large flagship institutions, where as the Big 12 is kind of a mixed bag. WHy wouldnt the PAC 12 go after schools like Kansas, K state, Ok state, maybe Baylor, instead of all the PAC 12 schools looking to go the other way?
best case scenario is probably Big 10 also takes Oregon and Washington, which at that point Big 12 would definitely have the better leverage, as of right now I'd have to agree that Pac 12 is probably slightly more attractive. (although I would take Big 12 every day if we're just talking the quality of football between the 12 Big 12 teams and 10 remaining Pac-12 teams) Oregon and Washington are definitely bigger names than anything the Big 12 has going forward.

Reactions: knight_tracker
best case scenario is probably Big 10 also takes Oregon and Washington, which at that point Big 12 would definitely have the better leverage, as of right now I'd have to agree that Pac 12 is probably slightly more attractive. (although I would take Big 12 every day if we're just talking the quality of football between the 12 Big 12 teams and 10 remaining Pac-12 teams) Oregon and Washington are definitely bigger names than anything the Big 12 has going forward.
If the big 10 grabs more pac 12 schools then you are certainly correct.

i really wanted UCF to make the jump to the acc, even with the looming reality with the Big12. Now with this move, if the Big12 can poach the remaining pac teams, I feel like we’d be in the best position going forward. It’s becoming more evident that the sec and BIG are looking to separate, only a matter of time before the top acc teams are poached. I can’t see a way other g5 teams looking to move up have a chance going forward tho

Again, if that's the case, you have a 22-team conference. You can only play 9 conference games a year. Any way you set up a schedule in the end it might as well be two separate conferences. 16 is already ridiculous IMO, but if you set up divisions 8 and 8 at least you have a couple of games against the other division during the year.
The ACC and Big12 are going to have to grow probably by splitting the remaining PAC12 teams. This probably hurts Memphis and Boise's chances of getting into a P5 in the new term. Crazy stuff is going to happen if this is true.

Notre Dame to the BIG 10 makes too much sense to not be the next card to fall. Only thing that is going to make the ACC tough to break up is the grant of rights issue. Those teams are locked into the ACC until 2036, the same reason Texas and Oklahoma aren’t jumping now, it will cost massive 💰💰💰

The guy who broke this story was just on Finebaum and said whatever teams are left in the PAC12 would likely merge with the BIG12 and then Fox would negotiate the Tv deal for the 20+ teams in the combined league.
I pray to god this is the case. It would be a wonky geographic league but is be down to tailgate on the west coast twice a year

Breaking news: The AL east has been purchased by the National League West. The yanks, red sox, orioles, blue jays, and Rays will now join the Dodgers/Padres/Dbacks/Rockies/ and Giants to form a super league that excluded the rest of baseball.
Seriously, this is the trajectory CFB is on

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
Also there is no way that Texas and Oklahoma are in the BIG XII in 2024 now.
BIG 10 will have their new conference in place and the SEC will want to do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT