ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ UCLA to Big 10?

Also there is no way that Texas and Oklahoma are in the BIG XII in 2024 now.
BIG 10 will have their new conference in place and the SEC will want to do the same.
Agreed, they will pay whatever their fee is. Its kinda sad, it is a money driven arms race by the blue bloods

Lets hold our breath. I dont want big east part two to happen to us. I hope and pray we do merge with remaining pac 12 and form a super conference
The Big 12 I thought contracted the new 3 and made the join official for 2023 and even aligned the payout structure for the first handful of years. That wasn't solidified with the Big East at the time of their split as the split occured shortly after, around their negotiations for payout...

I think absorbtion of the remainders from PAC is more likely. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah is what McMurphy hinted at earlier in Big 12.

Last edited:
The Big 12 I thought contracted the new 3 and made the join official for 2023 and even aligned the payout structure for the first handful of years. That wasn't solidified with the Big East at the time of their split as the split occured shortly after, around their negotiations for payout...

I think absorbtion of the remainders from PAC is more likely. Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah is what McMurphy hinted at earlier in Big 12.

Why would the Big 12 add those 4 teams and not Oregon and Washington, though? If today tells us anything, geography is out the window at this point, you add the best teams you can regardless of location.

Lets hold our breath. I dont want big east part two to happen to us. I hope and pray we do merge with remaining pac 12 and form a super conference
So if the Big 12 and Pac 12 merge the dynamics change to 4 power conferences. If that happens the ACC has to make a move and that could mean raiding the Big 12

If Arizona and Arizona State join the Big 12 that would increase UCF recruiting pipeline in Arizona.

Also...

I seriously doubt that the 3 new members didn't broach this potential scenario before signing those contracts to join. We all suspected it, so I can easily believe that the Big 12 shared potential ways to protect itself with prospective members and newcomers to ease their worries about joining a sinking ship.

UCF, Cinci (Playoff contender last year) and BYU are fine and arguably worth more than some of the Pac schools.

Reactions: beelit47
Also...

I seriously doubt that the 3 new members didn't broach this potential scenario before signing those contracts to join. We all suspected it, so I can easily believe that the Big 12 shared potential ways to protect itself with prospective members and newcomers to ease their worries about joining a sinking ship.

UCF, Cinci (Playoff contender last year) and BYU are fine and arguably worth more than some of the Pac schools.
I agree, the ink is dry.

Because Oregon and Wash are eventually heading to the Big10 as well.
I don't think you can just assume that. If that was a sure thing they'd be going with USC and UCLA, there's no reason for an announcement like that to wait unless the Big 10 has some sort of reason for not wanting them at this point. Not like Oregon or Washington would turn it down.

I would love if they just divided the country into quarters and made regional super conferences.

Would be a lot of fun and probably end up with many more meaningful matchups.
This makes the most sense. Could call the west division the Pacific, and east the Atlantic, then there would be a South or Southeast division, and then a central division made up of the Big midwestern schools…

(actually stole this from twitter)

Reactions: Wings0fred
I’ve heard inside info Clemson and FSU are on deck, working on a way out to Big10. Feel like SEC would be better fit and I don’t know how you get around ACC Grant of Rights, but this is a booster very close to all FSU decisions.

Yea Stanford is a huge draw and I'm not sure why so many people are talking about Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah. Stanford and Oregon are above at least three of those other schools.

Kind of baffling the Big10 didn’t take Stanford. Fits the academic profile (by a lot), plays the same brand of football and is the probably the best All Sports institution outside of basketball. They obviously wanted the LA market.
The LA schools reached out to the Big10. Stanford didn’t reach out to anyone. Not surprising at all

Yea Stanford is a huge draw and I'm not sure why so many people are talking about Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah. Stanford and Oregon are above at least three of those other schools.
People know where the Big12 stands in the pecking order. The AZ schools, UT and CO is what will be left over after the next round

Been listening to a few different shows and the consensus is that Stanford and Cal really don’t need to be a part of all this sports stuff because of their huge endowments and academics.
People are saying they could just go independent in sports and focus on academics and be just fine.

From the editor at GoPokes24/7...

"It is difficult to predict what the next move(s) will be, but the Big 12 — with its new commissioner Brett Yormark — is in a position to be the aggressor and potentially expand further by targeting some of the remaining schools in the Pac-12, like Oregon, Utah, Washington, Arizona or Arizona State. Before that, let's take a chance to digest the current news."

Okie State AD weights in on expansion....

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...g-weighs-in-conference-realignment-189475797/

Whatever happens, can somehow someway usf get left behind again? That would be great.
Well if two conferences merge for example the Big 12 takes in the rest of the Pac 12. Then USF remains outside looking in. If the landscape stays with 5 power conferences I think each conference will expand to 16 teams, and that would be good for other G4 teams to get pulled in. The next couple of weeks could be critical for the lower tier conferences. Get out the popcorn I'm sure there is a lot of nervous AD's

Reactions: Knight Strength
Been listening to a few different shows and the consensus is that Stanford and Cal really don’t need to be a part of all this sports stuff because of their huge endowments and academics.
People are saying they could just go independent in sports and focus on academics and be just fine.
Shoot, I've talked to Cal people and many don't even want football...against the sport altogether.

Not kidding. They haven't been exactly filling things up out there either.

USF board blowing up about them getting an invite to the Big10 to expand into FL market. Lots of their incels talking a move to the ACC as well, while trashing the Big12 (as always, jealous bastards). Talking about their shiny new stadium, that isn’t built and has only been mentioned to desperately try to stay relevant, with no plans to date…How do they have such little self awareness?

best case scenario is probably Big 10 also takes Oregon and Washington, which at that point Big 12 would definitely have the better leverage, as of right now I'd have to agree that Pac 12 is probably slightly more attractive. (although I would take Big 12 every day if we're just talking the quality of football between the 12 Big 12 teams and 10 remaining Pac-12 teams) Oregon and Washington are definitely bigger names than anything the Big 12 has going
Shoot, I've talked to Cal people and many don't even want football...against the sport altogether.

Not kidding. They haven't been exactly filling things up out there either.
They are focused on pronouns….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT