ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ UCLA to Big 10?

BIG10 takes Kansas and Stanford/Oregon
SEC takes FSU and Clemson

We eventually up in ACC.
The goal needs to be the SEC. The future is 2 main conferences and will be the Big 10 and the SEC.

Then there will be a 3rd conference, either ACC or Big 12, that will always be on the outside looking in.

The way to maximize our chances to get in the SEC is to win, win, and win. That's our only hope to get in the *in*

Reactions: Steve91562
The goal needs to be the SEC. The future is 2 main conferences and will be the Big 10 and the SEC.

Then there will be a 3rd conference, either ACC or Big 12, that will always be on the outside looking in.

The way to maximize our chances to get in the SEC is to win, win, and win. That's our only hope to get in the *in*
I think you forgot the /s

Oregon and Washington are obvious, we want them. I'm not sure any other schools add any value. Stanford and Cal won't join.
Good to see Old Bob being aggressive. There was a time when he just sat on his hands watching from the sidelines. " This aged well"

Last edited:
"The Big Ten, as they did USC and UCLA, will review and study potential options, but nothing is expected soon/imminent."

This did not happen overnight that final statement makes me think they are pausing taking on more teams from the Pac 12, and waiting on some other teams from a different conference. Maybe Notre Dame or a Clemson. Look out ACC.

Reactions: PhDee
I could still be wrong, but back before this past season started, as we were wondering if we would get a call from the Big 12, there was a thread "Should UCF say yes to Big 12". Colonel Mortimer, this is what I was talking about. I guessed they would go for USC, Oregon and Washington, maybe one other. I didn't quite see UCLA as their 2nd pick, but from what I'm hearing, USC agreed if the Big 10 would bring UCLA as well. I'm also hearing rumblings about Notre Dame to the Big 10.

I would imagine the SEC will respond. I don't think we have anything to worry about. At least not in regards to the Big 12. My guess is the SEC goes after UNC, and UVA/Va Tech with UVA the better academics and Va Tech a better cultural fit.
Beyond 18 I'm not sure where they go. I don't think FSU, Miami or Clemson get them exactly what they want. Maybe the don't look at tv markets and just look at who brings eyeballs. Clemson fits the bill and Miami will always generate eyeballs, just as a villain to root against.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
..... and those steps are getting shorter and shorter ...
Would have to be 4 conferences of 16.

If 3, that's 21.3333333333 teams per league.

I believe it will be 4 or more leagues. 16 each, which means Big 10 won't move anymore since already at 16 with the 2 additions. Same with SEC. ACC could add 2, big 12, after Texas and Okie leave would add 4, presumably from Pac 12. Colorado comes back. The Zonas, and one more, maybe Stanford for academics...or Utah for BYU rivalry.

If 4 conferences go to 20 teams, that could also be goal...a little more leeway.

Conclusion: usf is f*cked.

Or the CFP would just put a 3-loss B10 or SEC team in over an undefeated or 1 loss B12, P12, ACC.

..... and those steps are getting shorter and shorter ...
It’s going to end up just about 40 teams split by two conferences. Once those two conferences get Washington Oregon, fsu Miami Clemson and Norte dame they’ll completely break away from everyone else. They’ll be the equivalent of the afc and nfc. They’ll conduct their own 4 or six team playoff with the the winners of the big10 and sec meeting for a championship like the Super Bowl. They only thing preventing it now is ACC GoR.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
From CBS Sports about Big12 Interest:

"

Does the Pac-12 have a future?​

If the day's top story is the Big Ten consolidating power alongside the SEC, its second headline is the Pac-12 perhaps going away for good.

We should have been warned when ESPN thought nothing of relegating a partner (Big 12) to second-class status by at least rubber stamping Texas and Oklahoma joining another partner (SEC). For a few tenuous weeks, it felt as if the Big 12 would disintegrate, and then it added BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.

The Pac-12's situation seems worse. With Thursday's development, the league is in danger of imploding upon itself. Two high-profile sources told CBS Sports this may be it for the 107-year old conference.

Its centerpieces -- the Los Angeles schools -- has been ripped away. Its next-biggest market is Phoenix where Arizona State is under NCAA investigation for major violations. Arizona is one of the Pac-12's worst college football programs at the moment with basketball digging out of its own NCAA issues.

For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, "Why?"

That doesn't mean the Arizona schools may not eventually migrate to the new Big 12. There may be some value with the Phoenix market and being able to expand the conference's membership to 14. It does mean there is a reckoning coming for the Pac-12 where -- for the most part -- the appetite for football pales in comparison to the rest of the country.

"We're not obsessed with that right now," said Lawrence Schovanek, president of Texas Tech, when asked about realignment on Wednesday, "but nobody has said having 12 members in the Big 12 is the magic number."

The Big 12 looks rather stable right now."

Why would the Big12 not be interested? I don't get it.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Is part of the reason because of potential litigation if the league goes after teams?

It’s going to end up just about 40 teams split by two conferences. Once those two conferences get Washington Oregon, fsu Miami Clemson and Norte dame they’ll completely break away from everyone else. They’ll be the equivalent of the afc and nfc. They’ll conduct their own 4 or six team playoff with the the winners of the big10 and sec meeting for a championship like the Super Bowl. They only thing preventing it now is ACC GoR.
Worst case scenario for us by far.

I somehow wish those teams listed (Oregon, FSU, Clemson, ND, and even Miami) all stay stable in their conferences or that the B12 and ACC gain some of those PAC12 teams (evenly distributed....heh yeah right). It seems HEAVILY in BIG12 & ACC's conference interest to ally up and somehow prevent teams from being poached. PAC12 seems done if a couple more schools leave. Would be big news to hear BIG12 take some school and ACC too. If those big names stay out of the SEC and BIG10 we are still safe.

From CBS Sports about Big12 Interest:

"

Does the Pac-12 have a future?​

If the day's top story is the Big Ten consolidating power alongside the SEC, its second headline is the Pac-12 perhaps going away for good.

We should have been warned when ESPN thought nothing of relegating a partner (Big 12) to second-class status by at least rubber stamping Texas and Oklahoma joining another partner (SEC). For a few tenuous weeks, it felt as if the Big 12 would disintegrate, and then it added BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF.

The Pac-12's situation seems worse. With Thursday's development, the league is in danger of imploding upon itself. Two high-profile sources told CBS Sports this may be it for the 107-year old conference.

Its centerpieces -- the Los Angeles schools -- has been ripped away. Its next-biggest market is Phoenix where Arizona State is under NCAA investigation for major violations. Arizona is one of the Pac-12's worst college football programs at the moment with basketball digging out of its own NCAA issues.

For now, there is no interest from the Big 12 to take any Pac-12 schools. When a chance presented itself Thursday for the Big 12 board of directors to discuss these developments, one high-ranking Big 12 official said, "Why?"

That doesn't mean the Arizona schools may not eventually migrate to the new Big 12. There may be some value with the Phoenix market and being able to expand the conference's membership to 14. It does mean there is a reckoning coming for the Pac-12 where -- for the most part -- the appetite for football pales in comparison to the rest of the country.

"We're not obsessed with that right now," said Lawrence Schovanek, president of Texas Tech, when asked about realignment on Wednesday, "but nobody has said having 12 members in the Big 12 is the magic number."

The Big 12 looks rather stable right now."

Why would the Big12 not be interested? I don't get it.
I would think about it like this. If the Big 10 or SEC wants some of these PAC-12 teams, Big 12 is not going to be able to compete. Early reports say that there isn't interest. ok. The big reason to be proactive in acquiring these teams is to keep our teams away from the Pac-12. Or if there is interest from the ACC in picking up these PAC-12 teams. I haven't heard anything on the PAC-12 teams to ACC front.

So if there is no interest from the other big conferences and no risk of the PAC-12 coming after our teams it probably does make sense for the Big 12 to play it slow, so they can get better deals out of these teams if they do decide to bring them in.

I just have a hard time believing the PAC-12 is just going to lay down and die.

Reactions: PositYourself
Sounds right. Oregon and Washington don't have the academics for the Big10.
washington at the min without looking certainly does. ranked highly, tops in research grants, AAU and michigan state, iowa, nebraska, rutgers, indiana, minnesota and penn state are definitely not better schools than washington. illinois, wisconsin, maryland, purdue and ohio state at the very least would be ranked in a similar cluster.

Right now B10 and SEC are looking like super conferences. B12 and Pac remnants combining and ACC is not on the same level.

Don't see any reason why the two super conferences will want to give equal share of anything in negotiations for paths to championships.

Worst case scenario for us by far.

I somehow wish those teams listed (Oregon, FSU, Clemson, ND, and even Miami) all stay stable in their conferences or that the B12 and ACC gain some of those PAC12 teams (evenly distributed....heh yeah right). It seems HEAVILY in BIG12 & ACC's conference interest to ally up and somehow prevent teams from being poached. PAC12 seems done if a couple more schools leave. Would be big news to hear BIG12 take some school and ACC too. If those big names stay out of the SEC and BIG10 we are still safe.
It might be in the conferences best interest but is it in Clemson’s or FSU’s best interest. The AD and president have a responsibility to act in their best interest and not care what wake forest or duke may want

I saw somebody mention that Stanford and Cal would prefer to go independent if they can't get into one of the big 2 conferences. (I have no idea if this is true, but it makes my scenario work) IF that's the case and we have a true merger of the rest of the Big 12 and Pac 12 could make for an interesting 20-team 4 Pod conference.

Pod 1
UCF
Cincy
WV
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod 2
Oklahoma State
Houston
TCU
Texas Tech
Baylor

Pod 3
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
BYU

Pod 4
Oregon
Washington
Oregon State
Washington State
Iowa State

Iowa State gets hosed a little bit, but other than that I think it works pretty well. Play 9 conference games 4 in your pod, and then 5 against another Pod and you alternate Pods every year as far as who you play.

I saw somebody mention that Stanford and Cal would prefer to go independent if they can't get into one of the big 2 conferences. (I have no idea if this is true, but it makes my scenario work) IF that's the case and we have a true merger of the rest of the Big 12 and Pac 12 could make for an interesting 20-team 4 Pod conference.

Pod 1
UCF
Cincy
WV
Kansas
Kansas State

Pod 2
Oklahoma State
Houston
TCU
Texas Tech
Baylor

Pod 3
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Utah
BYU

Pod 4
Oregon
Washington
Oregon State
Washington State
Iowa State

Iowa State gets hosed a little bit, but other than that I think it works pretty well. Play 9 conference games 4 in your pod, and then 5 against another Pod and you alternate Pods every year as far as who you play.
No interest in Oregon State and Washington State. They can go to the WAC

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Right now B10 and SEC are looking like super conferences. B12 and Pac remnants combining and ACC is not on the same level.

Don't see any reason why the two super conferences will want to give equal share of anything in negotiations for paths to championships.
Exact. Once Oregon Washington Clemson FSU Norte Dame and Miami join either the SEC or Big10 they’ll have over 95% of viewership between them, why would they give any access.

AZ schools, Utah, and Colorado don't add the value the conference needs to get remotely close to the B10 and SEC moves. Its wishful thinking but I think the B12 should try to poach desirable ACC schools for good regional matchups for the current east coast B12 schools.

AZ schools, Utah, and Colorado don't add the value the conference needs to get remotely close to the B10 and SEC moves. Its wishful thinking but I think the B12 should try to poach desirable ACC schools for good regional matchups for the current east coast B12 schools.

Until the lawyers figure out a way to get out from under the grant of rights issue I don’t think any ACC teams will be poached. Their rights are locked into the ACC until 2036 and I have seen reports that it would take something like $200 million for a school to leave the ACC right now.
Just how Texas and Oklahoma wouldn’t bolt for the SEC right now because it would cost them around $80 million a piece to leave.
Notre Dame to the BIG 10 might be the only one who could afford that.

Until the lawyers figure out a way to get out from under the grant of rights issue I don’t think any ACC teams will be poached. Their rights are locked into the ACC until 2036 and I have seen reports that it would take something like $200 million for a school to leave the ACC right now.
Just how Texas and Oklahoma wouldn’t bolt for the SEC right now because it would cost them around $80 million a piece to leave.
Notre Dame to the BIG 10 might be the only one who could afford that.
Yeah I really think it would take Notre Dame making a move to either the Big 10 or SEC for there to be further additions to those two conferences in the immediate future.

The next movement IMO will be all about PAC-12, Big 12 or ACC adding to try to establish themselves as that 3rd best conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT