ADVERTISEMENT

"What was he doing wrong?"

As usual, you weren’t thinking. I’m sure poor LJ has had it SOOOOOOOOOOO ROUGH since the moment he started bouncing a basketball.
Let me get this straight: You're telling us that Lebron James, despite his race and upbringing, has never experienced racism because he's a basketball superstar?

As usual, you weren't thinking. :)

Let me get this straight: You're telling us that Lebron James, despite his race and upbringing, has never experienced racism because he's a basketball superstar?

As usual, you weren't thinking. :)

Yeah, I am sure it's been daunting what he's had to overcome. He's a modern day Cassius Clay and Jessie Owens. Shit, when he retires we'll treat him like Jackie Robinson and make a day just for him while retiring his number. Will it be no. 6 or no. 23?

This fact sheet is from 2017 but it shares some items of note:
  • In 2015, men committed 62% of murders and were 79% of all murder victims.
  • Black men committed 36% of murders and made up 52% of all murder victims. White men committed 30% of murders and accounted for 43% of all murder victims.
  • Of crimes involving a single offender and victim: 81% of white victims were killed by a white perpetrator; 89% of all black victims were killed by a black perpetrator.
  • In 2015, rates of murder and non-negligent homicide known to law enforcement were higher for men than women. Notably, black men were victims of murder and non-negligent homicide 1.5x more frequently than white men, and 3.3x more frequently than Hispanic or Latino men. White women were victims of homicide at a rate 1.8x greater than black women and 4.4x greater than Hispanic or Latina women.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ovc_archives/...rtwork/Fact_Sheets/2017NCVRW_Homicide_508.pdf

This fact sheet is from 2017 but it shares some items of note:
  • In 2015, men committed 62% of murders and were 79% of all murder victims.
  • Black men committed 36% of murders and made up 52% of all murder victims. White men committed 30% of murders and accounted for 43% of all murder victims.
  • Of crimes involving a single offender and victim: 81% of white victims were killed by a white perpetrator; 89% of all black victims were killed by a black perpetrator.
  • In 2015, rates of murder and non-negligent homicide known to law enforcement were higher for men than women. Notably, black men were victims of murder and non-negligent homicide 1.5x more frequently than white men, and 3.3x more frequently than Hispanic or Latino men. White women were victims of homicide at a rate 1.8x greater than black women and 4.4x greater than Hispanic or Latina women.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/ovc_archives/...rtwork/Fact_Sheets/2017NCVRW_Homicide_508.pdf

Once you factor in income/wealth the numbers are similar.

And these stats are relevant to a thread about a horrendous racist act...how?
It was a terrible act made by people who may or may not be horrible people that made the decision to do what looks like a horrible thing on that day. LeBron made a statement about this act that said African-Americans are literally hunted always. In addition to James’s comments, you have the director of the ACLU of Georgia saying “Ahmaud was killed three days before the anniversary of the 2012 killing of Trayvon Martin. Both incidents are a reminder that white supremacy has been a foundation for our country and leads repeatedly to the targeting and harming people of color, particularly African Americans.” Vox’s article laments “how little has changed in an area of Georgia that’s been described as dotted with Confederate flags, with a history of mobs of white men taking justice into their own hands in a manner that leaves black men dead.” The social discussion is about to start again where we are going to be told by many that racist killing of black men is widespread so I think it's relevant to look at some statistics about murders when having that discussion. That doesn't minimize this homicidal act one bit.

You made a statement earlier that just because it was not a white person pulling the trigger doesn’t mean it was not racism. Would you care to elaborate on that statement? I’d like to know what situations you’re thinking of that don’t fit that category.

You made a statement earlier that just because it was not a white person pulling the trigger doesn’t mean it was not racism. Would you care to elaborate on that statement?
Racism is a human condition, not a race-specific one.

They'll walk.
Yeah, like good ole' boy Florida, this could be George Zimmerman all over again.

The exception being it was daylight and the victim was wearing threatening jogging shorts instead of a hoodie.

But unlike Fat George's testimony, the appearance of a video makes it harder (but not impossible -- it IS Georgia after all) for the defense to get away with a self-defense claim.

Yeah, like good ole' boy Florida, this could be George Zimmerman all over again.

The exception being it was daylight and the victim was wearing threatening jogging shorts instead of a hoodie.

But unlike Fat George's testimony, the appearance of a video makes it harder (but not impossible -- it IS Georgia after all) for the defense to get away with a self-defense claim.
Are you ever going to actually educate yourself on the facts of the Zimmerman case or are you just going to continue to spout ignorant and incorrect bullshit?

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
Depends whether or not you're going to say this one is justified self-defense too?
I’ll say whatever the facts in evidence support. In this case, it doesn’t look like there’s any support for a justification defense. Of course, we don’t have all the facts yet so there is that slim chance that the video we haven’t seen tells a different story. We’ll see what happens as the trial unfolds.

Now, let’s see your retraction of the false bullshit you’re posting.

I’ll say whatever the facts in evidence support. In this case, it doesn’t look like there’s any support for a justification defense.
Funny how different these situations are when there is video of the altercation for everyone to see.

Hell, even WITH video evidence, it took nationwide outrage for this jogger and that Florida guy who got shot in the 7/11 parking lot to even be charged by local authorities.

Funny how different these situations are when there is video of the altercation for everyone to see.

Hell, even WITH video evidence, it took nationwide outrage for this jogger and that Florida guy who got shot in the 7/11 parking lot to even be charged by local authorities.
Yes, video of all kinds of incidents tends to bring immense public pressure to situations. Yet visuals can also be misleading, especially when deceptively edited or portrayed. Cameras only catch what’s in frame and often miss valuable context. You don’t really care, though, because you’ve shown for years that you’ll ignore anything that challenges your certainty in what you’ve been told is true by the media outlets and blogs that you consume. At least you’re consistent.

Yes, video of all kinds of incidents tends to bring immense public pressure to situations. Yet visuals can also be misleading, especially when deceptively edited or portrayed. Cameras only catch what’s in frame and often miss valuable context. You don’t really care, though ...
I care about justice being served so I would hope we're on the same page.

More often than not, videos make it crystal clear to everyone what really happened and no amount of "I was afraid---and I defended myself" BS is going to change it.

I care about justice being served so I would hope we're on the same page.

More often than not, videos make it crystal clear to everyone what really happened and no amount of "I was afraid---and I defended myself" BS is going to change it.
Yes, video can shed important light on bad subjects, like the Laquan MacDonald shooting and the Ray Rice domestic violence. And yet, there are many videos out there where public sentiment went one way originally and the truth was something else. Sometimes this is because the action occurs outside of the view of the dash cam, cell phone, etc. Other times the video that we see in the news and on social media has been deceptively edited. Sometimes we even miss the important parts when they’re staring us right in the face, such as the video where the suspect is reaching for a gun but we’re distracted by the rest of his body language. Video, in and of itself, is not the whole story.

Yes, video of all kinds of incidents tends to bring immense public pressure to situations. Yet visuals can also be misleading, especially when deceptively edited or portrayed. Cameras only catch what’s in frame and often miss valuable context.

It's the equivalent of what der shookboi does when he quotes posts and intentionally fragments what people write in order to suit his low-IQ rhetoric.

Are you ever going to actually educate yourself on the facts of the Zimmerman case or are you just going to continue to spout ignorant and incorrect bullshit?

[eyeroll]

White people think it is their right to walk up to any black folks in their neighborhoods and point guns at them.

These guys will get off just like Georgie.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
[eyeroll]

White people think it is their right to walk up to any black folks in their neighborhoods and point guns at them.

These guys will get off just like Georgie.
Well if you don't belong in the neighborhood, then you are allowed to make a citizens arrest.*

I'm seeing some legal analysis that this trial may not be as cut-and-dried murder as we all think it is based upon the video and the story in the media. As I said before, the legal aspects of self defense cases are tricky and can be misunderstood by the general public. I know the majority of us doesn't want to see an acquittal in this case but it is at least a possibility.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/ahmaud-arbery-files/

https://www.prlog.org/12822590-legal-issues-in-arbury-murder-case-incorrectly-reported.html

A little bio of the guy writing the second opinion https://www.law.gwu.edu/john-f-banzhaf-iii

I'm seeing some legal analysis that this trial may not be as cut-and-dried murder as we all think it is based upon the video and the story in the media. As I said before, the legal aspects of self defense cases are tricky and can be misunderstood by the general public.
If, for some unfathomable reason, it is used to declare McMichael's innocence in this case, it would become the new Exhibit A for how utterly moronic these Stand your Ground laws are.

I'm seeing some legal analysis that this trial may not be as cut-and-dried murder as we all think it is based upon the video and the story in the media. As I said before, the legal aspects of self defense cases are tricky and can be misunderstood by the general public. I know the majority of us doesn't want to see an acquittal in this case but it is at least a possibility.

https://lawofselfdefense.com/ahmaud-arbery-files/

https://www.prlog.org/12822590-legal-issues-in-arbury-murder-case-incorrectly-reported.html

A little bio of the guy writing the second opinion https://www.law.gwu.edu/john-f-banzhaf-iii

Exactly the same issue in the Zimmerman, St. Pete and Jordan Davis case. Provoke someone enough and when they react and come after you, shoot them and claim self-defense. In all 4 incidents, if the shooter had minded their own business instead of actively confronting the deceased (not on their property), no one would be dead.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
If, for some unfathomable reason, it is used to declare McMichael's innocence in this case, it would become the new Exhibit A for how utterly moronic these Stand your Ground laws are.

There are nuances, but it really depends on the jury. In the Jordan Davis and Markeis McGlockton cases the jury didn't feel like the the law applied.

Exactly the same issue in the Zimmerman, St. Pete and Jordan Davis case. Provoke someone enough and when they react and come after you, shoot them and claim self-defense. In all 4 incidents, if the shooter had minded their own business instead of actively confronting the deceased (not on their property), no one would be dead.
That's why the these Stand your Ground laws are so idiotic. Instead of encouraging law-abiding citizens to avoid gun-toting confrontations which could turn violent, this stupid law does the exact opposite as was tailor-made for 'taking the law into your own hands' good ole boys like the McMichaels.

Yep, pure insanity.

I'm waiting to weigh in on this until I learn the political affiliation of all parties.

You make it sound like white people are blowing away random black people for no reason.
Why is it "likely murder" if you take such exception to the anger surrounding the case?

Two good ol' boys became self-anointed police and decided to run down a jogger and make a citizen's arrest because he ... gasp! ... was a Black man in the wrong neighborhood. The poor guy was guilty of being seen leaving a construction site where he got a drink of water (like a lot of other people seen on the site's security cameras) and by Golly, that was enough for a Gomer Pyle-ish "citizens arrest" and a shotgun blast to the stomach when the SOB "resisted" their public service efforts.

Face it, it WAS ridiculous and it WAS a case of two white yahoos blowing away a random Black guy for no reason.

That is seriously the most ridiculous thing to say. You make it sound like white people are blowing away random black people for no reason. This gets so much coverage because it's a black and white. Chicago murders are likely just a statistic in the local news and it is almost daily in one city. Population of 330 million and you're going to have a few clowns.

We already had cases like in St Louis where the entire story was made up. This one is likely murder though and I haven't seen anything. If someone is running away in general terms, they shouldn't be shot.

St. Louis was cop & citizen. This is citizen & citizen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT