ADVERTISEMENT

A quick check in on Frost

You just reminded me of the Dr. Phillips QB Marvin Washington who chose UConn over us. Wonder how he's feeling now?

looks like he transferred out this summer. I thought he would have been a much better fit in UCF's offense

He completed 38% of his pass attempts. He also has trouble in classroom. I don’t think he is an academic. He would have transferred out of here year one.
It seemed like an odd choice and the time and it certainly hasn’t aged well.

It’s very possible the lack of success on and off the field were largely the result of the situation and not his abilities. Not to make excuses, but I don’t think UConn has had the support network in place that somewhere like UCF hasn’t lately and he may have done well here.

He completed 38% of his pass attempts. He also has trouble in classroom. I don’t think he is an academic. He would have transferred out of here year one.
not going to put in the energy to defend a guy that never put on a UCF uniform but my one defense is that UCONN has been one of the worst programs in the nation the last few years. There are many factors that could screw up any solid prospect in that environment. I felt like the Frost system would have been a good fit

Reactions: Wings0fred
not going to put in the energy to defend a guy that never put on a UCF uniform but my one defense is that UCONN has been one of the worst programs in the nation the last few years. There are many factors that could screw up any solid prospect in that environment. I felt like the Frost system would have been a good fit
At the very least you have to question his decision making. Why go to the worst school in nation ? Can’t defend his classroom work either. He would have transferred after year 1.

The deletion of the recruiting database was discussed on local radio this morning. The host was not really cool with it.
it certainly changed my opinion of him/his outgoing staff.

But, again, ADDW addressed it, it was resolved, and Frost coached the Peach Bowl. So I cannot dwell on it.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The antics he did as he left (red checkered shirt for AAC Championship game/met with UN AD in Philly before an AAC game, denied the whole thing, always referring to UCF as "This place", deleting player/recruiting data etc etc...) are all extremely small compared to what he accomplished while here (coming back to beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl, keeping the team focused to beat Memphis in the AAC Championship game, recruiting KZ etc), and the state in which he left the program.

Josh Heupel seems to have picked up the baton and has us going in the right direction. It's water under the bridge at this point. Honestly, it's time to move on.

met with UN AD in Philly before an AAC game
^^^ That is the most petty argument I've ever heard, and I don't know why people make it.
It's virtually impossible to interview when one is in a high visibility role or situation.

What do you guys do ... never leave your employer?
Get offers without any interview (I have, but even that's been very limited)?

EWGwm4r.jpg

are all extremely small compared to what he accomplished while here (coming back to beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl,
That was probably one of his classiest moves IMO while at UCF. It avoided a complete catastrophe and a probable loss that would have been ashame

That being said, he didn’t do it for free. The UCF athletic department cut him and his staff some hefty additional paychecks

Additionally, it helped him start his new job at NGEbraska with advertising, being visual on a national stage for recruiting, etc.

The only thing that was lost, was a few recruits who weren’t any good and Vedral who will never see the field as a starter unless Martinez gets injured

He’s probably not that great anyway after seeing him play against BCU

Is Heupel a better coach? They are pretty equal. Both have their strengths and weaknesses

Is Heupel a better coach? They are pretty equal. Both have their strengths and weaknesses
it's too early to come to that conclusion on Heupel. Milton was a Frost recruit and essentially was the safety valve from a Year 1 letdown with anyone coaching last year's team. Ask Miami fans about Larry Coker.

This season will say a lot about Heupel. The 2 QBs most likely to be playing were his transfer target and recruit(Dillon)

it's too early to come to that conclusion on Heupel. Milton was a Frost recruit and essentially was the safety valve from a Year 1 letdown with anyone coaching last year's team. Ask Miami fans about Larry Coker.

This season will say a lot about Heupel. The 2 QBs most likely to be playing were his transfer target and recruit(Dillon)
I think we all need to temper expectations but the continued buy-in from our players, fans and boosters has been astounding. We should not have worse than 9-3 seasons with AACCG appearance. If our win streak was to be snapped, as inevitably it would, it happened at the perfect time. Year 2 under CJH system will have everyone feeling even more acclimated. I truly believe we have our very own Gary Patterson type situation. We had position coaches make lateral moves from the SEC to work here. Milton is a special person and ambassador for UCF and thats evident getting DG to commit to us as well. We have capitalized on everything and the brand is stronger than ever.

I think we all need to temper expectations but the continued buy-in from our players, fans and boosters has been astounding. We should not have worse than 9-3 seasons with AACCG appearance. If our win streak was to be snapped, as inevitably it would, it happened at the perfect time. Year 2 under CJH system will have everyone feeling even more acclimated. I truly believe we have our very own Gary Patterson type situation. We had position coaches make lateral moves from the SEC to work here. Milton is a special person and ambassador for UCF and thats evident getting DG to commit to us as well. We have capitalized on everything and the brand is stronger than ever.

Agree with everything you said, but will take your statement one step further, not just our brand but rather the entire program is stronger than ever. Most of the credit goes to ADDW. He has clearly given CJH the staff, the infrastructure and all the tools to be very successful. This coaching staff has what they need to consistently win.

:cool2:

Consistency and longevity are often the key in the workplace and in coaching. If you keep changing jobs, you can’t accomplish anything or build a legacy. If it isn’t an obvious step-up, your present job doesn’t suck, you’re happy and successful, then there is no reason to change jobs. People always think that the grass is greener and make lateral movements.

As far as Frost, he HAD to make that move. Let’s see how things play out for Heupel.

An example is Kevin Sumlin. Yeah, he got paid well, but he had a good thing going at Houston and they have money too. If it wasn’t for Johnny Manziel, he really hasn’t done anything after leaving Houston.

Then there is Bobby Bowden. The ultimate example of sticking with it

I bet Spurrier wishes that he never left UF

As far as Frost, he HAD to make that move. Let’s see how things play out for Heupel.
I second Ucfmikes' comment.

There was literally no way that UCF could have matched the salary offer that Nebraska put on the table. When you combine that with the fact it was the Big Ten, his home state and the program he played QB at and won a national championship, the decision was a no-brainer, especially for a head coach with a young family and emotional ties to his Alma mater.

As someone who follows Husker football very closely, I can tell you that Scott has always spoken about UCF and his former players with the upmost respect. When reporters have asked him to compare MacKenzie with Martinez or to compare Year 2 at UCF with Year 2 at Nebraska, he politely refrains from any and all comparisons. He essentially says that it's unfair for the players he used to coach at UCF and the players he now coaches at Nebraska to play that game.

The bottom line is that Frost turned around the UCF football program and gave it a national spotlight that the program hadn't had before (despite some impressive W/L seasons). After Frost, Josh Heupel has come in and appears to be keeping the program's momentum -- and national attention -- going. If this continues, I see no way that UCF doesn't eventually gain a Power 5 invite, most likely to the Big XII.

So while it's understandable that nobody likes losing their head coach, I see the Frost departure as one where both Nebraska and UCF ultimately came out of the deal as big winners.

I second Ucfmikes' comment.

There was literally no way that UCF could have matched the salary offer that Nebraska put on the table. When you combine that with the fact it was the Big Ten, his home state and the program he played QB at and won a national championship, the decision was a no-brainer, especially for a head coach with a young family and emotional ties to his Alma mater.

As someone who follows Husker football very closely, I can tell you that Scott has always spoken about UCF and his former players with the upmost respect. When reporters have asked him to compare MacKenzie with Martinez or to compare Year 2 at UCF with Year 2 at Nebraska, he politely refrains from any and all comparisons. He essentially says that it's unfair for the players he used to coach at UCF and the players he now coaches at Nebraska to play that game.

The bottom line is that Frost turned around the UCF football program and gave it a national spotlight that the program hadn't had before (despite some impressive W/L seasons). After Frost, Josh Heupel has come in and appears to be keeping the program's momentum -- and national attention -- going. If this continues, I see no way that UCF doesn't eventually gain a Power 5 invite, most likely to the Big XII.

So while it's understandable that nobody likes losing their head coach, I see the Frost departure as one where both Nebraska and UCF ultimately came out of the deal as big winners.
Wow. Hard to believe. A Husker fan visiting our board that hasn’t been a total douchebag

Probably the main reason why the hate on here. At least from me.

Hopefully this starts a new trend and we can put an end to the “we stole your coach you G5 cocksuckers” attitude. I mean, we HAVE been one of the BEST programs in the COUNTRY for 2 years. Even a non-homer just cannot deny that.
SCHEDULE or not.

However, I’m finding out that most of those trolls aren’t the REAL fans of the school and in most cases they are the fans of one of our RIVALS like the cows

I’m finding out that most of those trolls aren’t the REAL fans of the school and in most cases they are the fans of one of our RIVALS like the cows
I'm not saying that there aren't a few douchebag Nebraska fans out there. But I seriously doubt you're seeing any true Nebraska fans trolling you guys. The Nebraska fans I know have fond feelings for the Knights. Heck, I still watch UCF's "Perfection" video at least once a month! :)

As Scott Frost fans, we began actively following the Knights since 2016. But when our Husker season completely fell off the rails early in 2017, we began following UCF much more closely and, as UCF got on a roll, we became avid Knight fans.

For most Husker fans, being a Knight fan didn't just drop away when Frost left. Once you've become a fan of a program, it never totally fades away. We love our Huskers but we also are known to yell "Go Knights!" whenever they're playing on TV.

Wow. Hard to believe. A Husker fan visiting our board that hasn’t been a total douchebag

Probably the main reason why the hate on here. At least from me.

Hopefully this starts a new trend and we can put an end to the “we stole your coach you G5 cocksuckers” attitude. I mean, we HAVE been one of the BEST programs in the COUNTRY for 2 years. Even a non-homer just cannot deny that.
SCHEDULE or not.

However, I’m finding out that most of those trolls aren’t the REAL fans of the school and in most cases they are the fans of one of our RIVALS like the cows
Stop the trash talk. Shuckster is the epitome of total douchebag so don't sell him short. He deserves respect for being the biggest shit tier poster on this or any board.

This. Frost left to go home, nobody should be mad about that. He helped lay the foundation for JH and the success has continued. Wearing a red and white checkered shirt or a lapel pin is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. It just seems like things have worked out well for everybody so not much point in holding a grudge.

Yes I just don't get the hate for him. He went back home he was born and raised in Nebraska and it was a dream job. The culture and foundation that we love so much? That was built by him. Of course I wished he would have stayed but I knew when he was hired if that job came open he was likely gone. I am rooting for him as long as we don't play them of course.

Yes I just don't get the hate for him. He went back home he was born and raised in Nebraska and it was a dream job. The culture and foundation that we love so much? That was built by him. Of course I wished he would have stayed but I knew when he was hired if that job came open he was likely gone. I am rooting for him as long as we don't play them of course.
If any coaches alma mater comes calling they're going to take the job. Even Heup who (iirc) was a JUCO recruit to OU, then fired as a scapegoat would seriously consider going back to OU.

If any coaches alma mater comes calling they're going to take the job. Even Heup who (iirc) was a JUCO recruit to OU, then fired as a scapegoat would seriously consider going back to OU.
Given that Heupel WAS fired as a scapegoat makes it unlikely either side would consider it if Lincoln Riley were to leave OU. If Heup is the real deal, he'll have suitors from other schools. But UCF has a lot going for it, including a savvy AD. So he could well be in Orlando for the long haul.

Again, if UCF can keep its momentum going, a Power 5 invite will come sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Given that Heupel WAS fired as a scapegoat makes it unlikely either side would consider it if Lincoln Riley were to leave OU. If Heup is the real deal, he'll have suitors from other schools. But UCF has a lot going for it, including a savvy AD. So he could well be in Orlando for the long haul.

Again, if UCF can keep its momentum going, a Power 5 invite will come sooner rather than later.
Agreed. I never thought that he would be running to Oklahoma at the first chance. It was pretty recent as well

Agreed. I never thought that he would be running to Oklahoma at the first chance. It was pretty recent as well

Time heals all wounds, but it's very unlikely that Oklahoma will be looking for a new coach for quite a while. By the time they are, JH will have either stuck around UCF long enough to earn that P5 invite or take a premier P5 job. I don't see him leaving to take a Vanderbilt or Purdue type of job. Objectively speaking, UCF is a better job than 3/4ths of the P5 already.

Time heals all wounds, but it's very unlikely that Oklahoma will be looking for a new coach for quite a while. By the time they are, JH will have either stuck around UCF long enough to earn that P5 invite or take a premier P5 job. I don't see him leaving to take a Vanderbilt or Purdue type of job. Objectively speaking, UCF is a better job than 3/4ths of the P5 already.
Don’t you think Riley will go to the NFL soon?

The NFL allure isn't what it used to be
The college head coach is King. I read recently in one of those "day in the life" articles on the new HC of the Bengals, Zac Taylor, that he has a standing DAILY meeting with the Owner and the team's various VPs.

I suppose its different depending on the team and the owner but that sounds AWFUL to me.

There is no reason for Heup to leave Orlando except for a top 15 P5 job with lots of money or the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT