ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Transfer Portal Open Thread

Unbelievable. The basketball program is toast. Starting shooting guard transfers to Texas over the summer, now a transfer UCF just brought in a few months ago has already decided to go elsewhere (would have been the best player on the team).

What are we even doing?

Unbelievable. The basketball program is toast. Starting shooting guard transfers to Texas over the summer, now a transfer UCF just brought in a few months ago has already decided to go elsewhere (would have been the best player on the team).

What are we even doing?
I said 3 years ago we should have axed him. That said, this is a problem everywhere right now except for about 5-10 programs. Kids just won’t stay anywhere anymore.

Reactions: U C to the F
Being mid in the AAC at a school like ours is inexcusable. We aren’t a basketball school b/c we have sucked at basketball. Don’t suck and our fanbase will show up, not unlike any other school but we have the fan base and the facilities to sustain support, just not the historic results.

I said 3 years ago we should have axed him. That said, this is a problem everywhere right now except for about 5-10 programs. Kids just won’t stay anywhere anymore.
Yes, I completely agree that kids transferring out at high rates is an issue programs are dealing with across the country - it’s not just a UCF problem. When guys like Young, Suggs, Edwards, Freeman, Thioune, etc. announced they were moving on at the conclusion of last season, it wasn’t surprising/concerning whatsoever.

What seems different, concerning, and completely unacceptable now is the additional roster turnover so late in this cycle.

On top of the five transfers I mentioned above (who transferred at the end of the Spring):
- HS pledges Joey Hart and Petras Padegimas (Dayton) went elsewhere in early June…
-Sixth-year guard I. Horton, who started all 34 games for UCF last season, transferred to another program in-conference (early July).
-And Walton, who literally just committed to UCF a couple of months ago (via Georgia/Wichita State/Alabama), is already out the door (late July).

All of these guys felt comfortable enough with the school, coaches, program to commit to UCF. To me, it seems the biggest issue might be NIL (or lack thereof). Are they just not getting the $ they were promised? Something is up…

or in walton's case a guy with a georgia/wichita state/alabama history is a flake and someone dawkins shouldn't have recruited to begin with. i'm glad he got burned.

Instead of a fly off the handle type person, I'm a wait and see guy. However, this year's team will be unrecognizable. Just like last year.

Stiffer Competition as well. Johnny Dawkins has a tough job to do!

Probably ain't gonna be pretty, but again, I'm waiting to pass judgement until I see the product on the court.

Go Knights.

Sooo what’s the rotation?

Lord this is one of the worst teams I can Remember
I would guess…
G - Darius Johnson (35 career starts at UCF, career 36% FG%. 10.2 PTS, 4.2 AST, 2.2 STL in 2022-23)
G - Shemarri Allen (35 career starts in the Summit League at Kansas City. 17.0 PTS, 5.0 REB, 2.0 STL in 2022-23)
G - Jaylin Sellers (35 career starts at Ball State, career 45% 3PT%, 13.5 PTS in 2022-23)
F - CJ Walker (34 career starts at UCF, only played in four games last season due to injury. Career: 6.4 PTS, 4.3 REB, 1.0 BLK)
Bigs - I. Diallo (Ohio State/San Jose St., career: 15.5 MPG, 5.3 PTS, 5.3 REB, 1.3 BLK), O. Payne (Florida/Illinois/Jacksonville, career: 13.4 MPG, 3.4 PTS, 2.8 REB, 1.0 BLK)

They also added Antwann Jones last Spring, who was a star prep guard in Orlando. He’s been around (Memphis/Creighton/ULL/JUCO).

And a lot of inexperience behind those guys…

Yeah, sigh.

I’m bumping this and continuing the thread for this year’s portal cycle. It was kind of fun to go back and read (at this point last year) some of the names who were interested in UCF. A lot of swings and misses, many of those names made noise in CBB this past season (Dickinson, Nembhard, Nelson, Battle, Ashworth, Dennis, McCollum, Lampkin, etc.).

Once again, UCF will have a decent number of roster spots they will need to fill via the portal.

Last edited:

What are we even doing?
Yep...the 2 guys who transferred to Memphis (one who played for us the year before and the other who decommitted last year) averaged 8 and 2 points respectively. And Memphis didn't even play in the postseason (they turned down the NIT) so they got no exposure. It was pretty much a wasted year for both. Johnny has a lot of starting positions open this year so let's hope that, with the B12 and its exposure, we'll get some takers who can ball.

Reactions: connerito
Yep...the 2 guys who transferred to Memphis (one who played for us the year before and the other who decommitted last year) averaged 8 and 2 points respectively. And Memphis didn't even play in the postseason (they turned down the NIT) so they got no exposure. It was pretty much a wasted year for both. Johnny has a lot of starting positions open this year so let's hope that, with the B12 and its exposure, we'll get some takers who can ball.
Yes, a lot of overreactions last Spring, including myself! J. Walton was not great at Memphis, Horton had a rough year off the bench for Texas, Padegimas played only 7.8 minutes per game at Dayton, and J. Hart was basically a walk-on for Kentucky (played nine TOTAL minutes all season, made one three-point field goal).

Much better foundation to build around this off-season for sure:
G - Darius Johnson, 6-1
G- Mikey Williams, 6-3
Wing - Jaylin Sellers, 6-4
G - KJ Greene, 6-2

Now, just go out there and get some forwards/bigs to fill out the rotation.

Yes, a lot of overreactions last Spring, including myself! J. Walton was not great at Memphis, Horton had a rough year off the bench for Texas, Padegimas played only 7.8 minutes per game at Dayton, and J. Hart was basically a walk-on for Kentucky (played nine TOTAL minutes all season, made one three-point field goal).

Much better foundation to build around this off-season for sure:
G - Darius Johnson, 6-1
G- Mikey Williams, 6-3
Wing - Jaylin Sellers, 6-4
G - KJ Greene, 6-2

Now, just go out there and get some forwards/bigs to fill out the rotation.
definitely! the KEY is a few BIGS that have consistent scoring ability

definitely! the KEY is a few BIGS that have consistent scoring ability
Sylla's also returning and at 6'11" he's got the length, now he needs to develop the strength (20 lbs of muscle) to play down low. He was satisfied just chuckin' it up this year but he can't do that next year and start. We also have Tyler Hendricks and a couple of other underclassmen potentially coming back. Let's see if any of them realizes that, at their size, the key to winning at this level is the ability to shoot the rock and play D. Maybe one or more of them will get serious and work their butts off to get there. Beyond that we will definitely need more and better bigs.

Reactions: connerito
Hendricks barely played. He isn’t good enough. Maybe when he’s a 5th year senior he will be decent. Sylla plays like a guard but not a great shooter. If he works on outside shot he could be better.

Lot's of the same noobz who continue to put their UCFoot in their mouth prior to the season and actual games being played.

Real UCFans are hoping for continued progression. And ignore these unrealistic ideas being top of the conference where half the teams are in the Top 25, and legencies of deep tournament runs and NCs.

Cincy is 9th all time in NCs. And we UCFinished tied to them. Let those UCFacts sink in.

#UCFacts

:cool:

Lot's of the same noobz who continue to put their UCFoot in their mouth prior to the season and actual games being played.

Real UCFans are hoping for continued progression. And ignore these unrealistic ideas being top of the conference where half the teams are in the Top 25, and legencies of deep tournament runs and NCs.

Cincy is 9th all time in NCs. And we UCFinished tied to them. Let those UCFacts sink in.

#UCFacts

I could care less that Cincinnati has national championships because of Oscar Robertson over sixty years ago. By that logic, is San Fransisco a powerhouse UCF should feel inferior towards because of Bill Russell?

I understand the logic that the Big12 is the best conference in the country, and that it will take some time for UCF to find sustained success in their new conference. But I sure as hell wouldn’t use Cincinnati to make that point lol.

Last edited:
I could care less that Cincinnati has national championships because of Oscar Robertson over sixty years ago. By that logic, is San Fransisco a powerhouse UCF should feel inferior towards because of Wilt Chamberlain?

I understand the logic that the Big12 is the best conference in the country, and that it will take some time for UCF to find sustained success in their new conference. But I sure as hell wouldn’t use Cincinnati to make that point lol.
wilt is kansas, you're thinking about bill russell.

Didn't Cincinnati sweep UCF this year and last year. However, I guess head to head matchups doesn't matter.

Haven't we lost 3 consecutive times to USF? UK wants Calipari out because he has early exits in the tournament and yet we're okay with finishing at the bottom of our conference ? I'm willing to give Dawkins another year with the potential talent we have coming in, but extending him was asinine.

Hendricks barely played. He isn’t good enough. Maybe when he’s a 5th year senior he will be decent. Sylla plays like a guard but not a great shooter. If he works on outside shot he could be better.
Well, here's the initial Transfer Portal activity. 4 UCF players are entering.

•CJ Walker
•DeMarr Langford Jr
•Marchelus Avery
•Michael Kalina (walk on)

Except for Walker (what is this, his 6th year?) these were expected. And there may be more coming.

Johnny's got to fill most of the roster again.

Last edited:
M. Avery and D. Langford are in the portal. CJ Walker is also in the portal (graduated and walked on senior night, but will apparently apply for a medical exemption/sixth-year elsewhere.)

S. Allen, I. Diallo, O. Payne, and A, Jones move on as graduates as well.

That makes up seven of UCF’s ten top minutes getters last season. Another off-season of rebuilding, such is life in this portal era.

M. Avery and D. Langford are in the portal. CJ Walker is also in the portal (graduated and walked on senior night, but will apparently apply for a medical exemption/sixth-year elsewhere.)

S. Allen, I. Diallo, O. Payne, and A, Jones move on as graduates as well.

That makes up seven of UCF’s ten top minutes getters last season. Another off-season of rebuilding, such is life in this portal era.
I guess Avery and Langford figured they could get more playing time somewhere else. Of the two, Avery has better skills but Langford was the better team player and tougher. Combine the two and you'd have a starter. Individually you don't. Walker leaving is disappointing with all the hand holding that UCF did with him the past few years. If healthy, he'd be a starter here. With these 3 leaving, Johnny's got a lot of work to do.....

Wish CJ Walker the best of luck. Unfortunately, he is dinged-up most of the time. He can be replaced by somebody contributing on the court, though, so that’s a bonus overall.

Kids in the portal to “court” isn’t going to be a problem. Tons of talent out there to get.

I guess Avery and Langford figured they could get more playing time somewhere else. Of the two, Avery has better skills but Langford was the better team player and tougher. Combine the two and you'd have a starter. Individually you don't. Walker leaving is disappointing with all the hand holding that UCF did with him the past few years. If healthy, he'd be a starter here. With these 3 leaving, Johnny's got a lot of work to do.....
Yeah, Langford was confounding to me this past season. You’re talking about a kid who started nearly 60 games and played roughly 30 MPG over three seasons in the ACC (at Boston College). You would think that kind of experience alone would have kept him on the court a lot more often this year..

But man, he was just so lost and borderline unplayable at times. I agree with you that he is a strong/tough kid that plays bigger than he’s listed, and that his role was to do the little things that don’t necessarily show up in a box score. Yet, 41% from the floor, 50% from the line, zero three point makes for the season. That kind of production shouldn’t be too difficult to replace. It’s unfortunate, but I just didn’t see any kind of assertiveness from him at UCF.

Now Avery entering the portal hurts UCF a bit here. You can definitely make the argument he should have been playing a little more this past season than he was. Sure, he was very inconsistent from game-to-game, but his minutes/role were inconsistent as well (to be fair).

Still, with a second-year in the program, I would have thought he was a guy who could have started alongside DJ/Mikey/Sellers as a small-ball forward. He did show some flashes in 2023-24 (19 points at Cincinnati, 16 points vs. Baylor, 19 points and 9 rebounds against USF). That’s a tough loss.

With M. Williams coming on, I wonder how much of UCF’s limited NIL funds (in basketball) he’s tying up, and how that will affect the rest of their work needed to be done in the portal…

Avery is the only one that we will miss but even he isn’t vital to keep. Walker is always hurt. Not really great when he played anyway.

I could care less that Cincinnati has national championships because of Oscar Robertson over sixty years ago. By that logic, is San Fransisco a powerhouse UCF should feel inferior towards because of Bill Russell?

Cincinnati is still Top 10% in Tournament wins in the 20th Century. We just got our UCFirst tournament win 5 years ago.

We aren't in the same arena as our conference mates. So appreciate the progress.

#UCFacts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT