ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

You’re right. But at what point do the names of these blue bloods change perception?

How long can Nebraska ride on their old success? It doesn’t change sellouts and revenue, I get that, but in 20 more years of 8 win seasons… at what point does a UCF type team surpass them?

Gonzaga is a great example for basketball. When are they considered a “blue blood” — ever?
Some good points. I personally no longer consider Neb a blue blood. They have not finished in the Top 10 any year since 2001. They are a product of a time that no longer exists. So certainly, time can erode a reputation given enough failure over a long period. Same thing with Army....5 National titles in the last century. Rice has 4 Big 6 game wins. Tulane has 3 SEC titles.

When would/could UCF or another similar school surpass them? Assuming Neb stays down, maybe 2-3 P5 conference titles coupled with 1-2 Big 6 wins in the next decade.

I have no interest in basketball so I have no opinion.

But at what point do the names of these blue bloods change perception?
A CFB blueblood is always a blueblood. It doesn't mean bluebloods never fall, all of them have gone through tough stretches. But because of their lofty status, these programs can always be counted on to return to the national spotlight.
How long can Nebraska ride on their old success? It doesn’t change sellouts and revenue, I get that, but in 20 more years of 8 win seasons… at what point does a UCF type team surpass them?
In the case of Nebraska, it was one of CFB's original national powers from the 1890s thru to the start of WWII when the schools lack of a ROTC program (at that time) and bad coaching hires took it down for 20 years. Then, beginning in 1962, it experienced over 50 years of unrivaled CFB success until the early 00s. And now? It is certainly going through another slump but with its incredible fan support (tell me how many football programs can experience 5 straight losing seasons and STILL sell out a 90,000-seat stadium?) -- and it big dawg B1G resources -- you can bet the Huskers will be back.

There were several articles during the past season that addressed the Nebraska boosters purchasing unsold tickets. They were rumored to have bought thousands of tickets to keep the streak alive but live views of the stadium showed lots of empty seats. Not saying it’s true or not, but if it is, it’s a bush league effort to try to make your school still relevant. Most schools have down times and falsifying reality only makes it look worse.

Last edited:

• Haha
Reactions: Knight59
I’m sorry I just don’t think it should qualify as a NCAA record when it wasn’t the fans actually buying the tickets. Every top school could do the same but seem to have more integrity. It’s a hollow record.

I’m sorry I just don’t think it should qualify as a NCAA record when it wasn’t the fans actually buying the tickets. Every top school could do the same but seem to have more integrity. It’s a hollow record.
Doesn’t really bother me - everyone has attendance numbers which are > butts in seats for the very same reason, ucf included (but not as bad as usf 😂)

It is a sell-out streak, not a max attendance streak. If someone wants to waste their money, let them. The cameras don’t lie on saturdays.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Nothing new out of the media on Monday. The focus will be on the Big 12 media days this week. Big 12 Media Days will be the first opportunity for the league and its teams to discuss narratives and storylines. The attached story was released by ESPN yesterday. Nothing new, but we can relate to this quote. " Right now there is an “arms race” of sorts between the Big 12, Pac-12, and ACC to become No. 3 in terms of conference superiority. " The ACC failed at joining the ACC network with the Pac. It will be interesting to see the next move from the ACC.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2022/07/11/espn-source-dont-sleep-on-the-new-big-12/

Reading between the lines there are no teams left that would add additional tv value. The amount of money gets diluted going to 18 or 20 teams, and scheduling is more of a challenge. I think the Big 12 will stop at 16
If this turns out to be true then the acc will want nothing to do with pac12. Notre dame may as well stay independant and p12 teams should strongly consider b12

Reactions: knight_tracker
If this turns out to be true then the acc will want nothing to do with pac12. Notre dame may as well stay independant and p12 teams should strongly consider b12
That's the way I see it, but as I stated before the ACC will not be happy if the Big 12 passes them in conference strength. Would they go after West Virginia or Cincinnati. Would they go West for the PAC 12? I can't see them staying at 14 teams or 15 counting Notre Dame. Are there any teams left that increases revenue??

Last edited:
Reading between the lines there are no teams left that would add additional tv value. The amount of money gets diluted going to 18 or 20 teams, and scheduling is more of a challenge. I think the Big 12 will stop at 16
Having read too many, "Our HC has the full support of the owner", "I love this place," "I want to retire a ....." and then the next day he's fired, leaves, signs with another team, I ignore this completely. The deluded me says- hey, that gives UCF time to become more desirable to the SEC, but then I'm completely deluded, because I know full well the SEC is just waiting for the bulls to build their Crystal Palace, then they and N. Mexico St are a shoe-in.

Anybody can go to a ton of different sites (including gambling sites) that show all the matchups for the upcoming week and it’ll usually also show what channel(s) the game is being shown on. I would imagine that might become a little more difficult to discern if some streaming services also show game(s) but I trust as thinking adults that most people can figure that out as well.

You definitely don’t need ESPN to tell you what games to watch, or what games matter.

That's the way I see it, but as I stated before the ACC will not be happy if the Big 12 passes them in conference strength. Would they go after West Virginia or Cincinnati. Would they go West for the Pac 12? I can't see them staying at 14 teams or 15 counting Notre Dame. Are there any teams left that increases revenue??
I have a hard time seeing any B12 teams moving to the ACC. The B12 will be making more money than the ACC.

Same with the PAC. They will either be making about the same money as ACC teams, or if several PAC teams go to the B12, the remaining PAC teams are not schools the ACC would want.

Reactions: SimpleJack53
Dumbass is offensive too you child.
Look, sometimes I forget that you have never been to college, my bad......so I’ll explain this like I would to one of my kids.

Some words are offensive to whole populations of people, and we really want to avoid using them. Things like the nasty N word and the C word towards women are two other examples besides the M word you used on multiple occasions which greatly offends the small person community as a whole.

When you used the word as you did to describe the UCF football program, you were not offending us, you were offending a whole population of people who have been fighting for respect their whole lives. The word you used in conjunction with that, misfits, is an acceptable choice.

Now, when I am calling you a Dumbass, that is solely directed at you and the only real question is are you a Dumbass by birth or did your Dumbassery result from your upbringing.

Either way, you have reached Jedi levels of Dumbassery on this board with bad takes and low IQ level knowledge. The only mystery is why troll this board? It would be more fun for you to troll a board full of myopic takes and a similar low IQ. The Bullspen forum would be the place for you.

Dumbass, it’s offensive no matter who it is directed at.....damn you’re stupid dad
Child is offensive too you person.
Fellas... I don't mean to interrupt, I love a good keyboard fight like any other forum dweller, so about a month ago I created a thread to consolidate all the fun...

The idea is to copy/paste off-topic insulting, triggering posts to this thread to carry on the fun, like the Parking Lot concept in Kaizen / Process Improvement events. A nice by-product of this concept is it keeps other specific threads (like this one) on point, with content & input relating to thread title.

Give it a shot! ...I'll chime in from time to time.

😎👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings0fred

I think 16 sounds like the right amount of teams, but if the SEC were to expand, I think Duke UNC and UVA (and probably 1 more) would be the best moves. . I get that football is where the most money is, but if they added those schools to go along with UK, they would have 3 of the biggest name brand basketball schools, and UVA who is one of the top bball programs at the moment. Plus, if you go to top heavy in football then something has to give. Not every team in the conference can win 9 or 10 games a year, so too many top tier football programs just means more top tier football programs winning 6 or 7 games a year and ending up in mid tier bowls.

Fellas... I don't mean to interrupt, I love a good keyboard fight like any other forum dweller, so about a month ago I created a thread to consolidate all the fun...

The idea is to copy/paste off-topic insulting, triggering posts to this thread to carry on the fun, like the Parking Lot concept in Kaizen / Process Improvement events. A nice by-product of this concept is it keeps other specific threads (like this one) on point, with content & input relating to thread title.

Give it a shot! ...I'll chime in from time to time.

😎👍
I find the term “parking lot” extremely offensive to asphalt.

• Haha
Reactions: UCFloridaTech
Look, sometimes I forget that you have never been to college, my bad......so I’ll explain this like I would to one of my kids.

Some words are offensive to whole populations of people, and we really want to avoid using them. Things like the nasty N word and the C word towards women are two other examples besides the M word you used on multiple occasions which greatly offends the small person community as a whole.

When you used the word as you did to describe the UCF football program, you were not offending us, you were offending a whole population of people who have been fighting for respect their whole lives. The word you used in conjunction with that, misfits, is an acceptable choice.

Now, when I am calling you a Dumbass, that is solely directed at you and the only real question is are you a Dumbass by birth or did your Dumbassery result from your upbringing.

Either way, you have reached Jedi levels of Dumbassery on this board with bad takes and low IQ level knowledge. The only mystery is why troll this board? It would be more fun for you to troll a board full of myopic takes and a similar low IQ. The Bullspen forum would be the place for you.
Beyond that, we embrace being "misfits." It's the misfits that change the world.

So do we still think the B12 gets P12 schools? Or both conferences stay as-is for a few more years?

With media rights basically expiring for everyone in a few years, conferences are going to be scrambling and I would hope the Big12 stays aggressive and plucks at least 4 from the Pac12. Yormark is hot on the case!

So do we still think the B12 gets P12 schools? Or both conferences stay as-is for a few more years?
I would say the Big 12 is still talking, the 4 corner schools have some stuff packed just in case. But for the moment they are waiting on two things. 1 would be Notre Dame. If Notre Dame goes to the Big 10 or SEC, all hell will break loose. The other thing the Pac schools are waiting on is to find out what their expected TV package is going to be worth without USC and UCLA. It is set to expire in the summer of 2024. So preliminary negotiations had probably started. But the Pac 12 board of directors voted to begin negotiations immediately. My guess is they will have an answer in 3-4 weeks from what I have been reading. So by maybe mid-late August we should start to hear more detailed info. If their contract would be on par with the big 12, they might stay. However, the Big 12 is probably also looking at what they would get if those schools joined them, also what they might get with UW and oregon joining as well.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The longer this plays out I think it gives the ACC more leverage. Don't get me wrong I didn't expect a deal to be closed in 2 weeks, but the sooner the better at least take the first 4 from the PAC.
Sure sounds like the 7 PAC teams are pretty united (with O, Wash, & Stanford being exceptions). If one or two of them go however, I think the jumping from the Titanic will start.

So back to the old Big XII mindset. "Let's watch what happens, maybe something nice will happen if I play with my magic ball."

Of course I do realize you can't force someone to join.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT