ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Exits

All of the QBs after Schneider and before Blake were average at best. Most below average. Was some boring offenses. Kevin Smith made that 1 year fun but the rest weren’t.
The 2010 offense, with true freshman Jeff Godfrey leading the way, wasn't boring at all. The 2005 one, lead by Steven Moffett, and featuring wide receivers Brandon Marshall, Mike Walker, and true freshman running back Kevin Smith, wasn't too shabby either.

The 2010 offense, with true freshman Jeff Godfrey leading the way, wasn't boring at all. The 2005 one, lead by Steven Moffett, and featuring wide receivers Brandon Marshall, Mike Walker, and true freshman running back Kevin Smith, wasn't too shabby either.
Godfrey wasn’t good. He looked good because the people before him sucked. He didn’t throw for 3000 yards. Plumlee is better than Godfrey by a mile.

Godfrey wasn’t good. He looked good because the people before him sucked. He didn’t throw for 3000 yards. Plumlee is better than Godfrey by a mile.
How you guys can post crap without doing a shread of research is very usf and miami like.....damn we have some stupid fans.

But here are the stats, keep in mind you are talking about a true freshman vs a 4th year senior:

Godfrey (2010)
2,159 passing yards
67% completions
9.1 Y/A
13 TDs, 8 Int
154.3 rating
566 rush yrds
10 TDs + 1 fumble return TD
Won league, Beat Georgia

Plumlee (2022)
2,586 passing yards
63% completions
7.5 Y/A
14 TDs, 8 Int
134.5 rating
862 rush yrds
11 TDs
Won nothing, beat nobody

Another factor in Godfrey's favor is a hard nose defense minded coach vs an offensive "genius". AND Plumlee fumbled the ball too damn much. So you can say you prefer Plumlee, but "better by a mile"? Child, please......

How you guys can post crap without doing a shread of research is very usf and miami like.....damn we have some stupid fans.

But here are the stats, keep in mind you are talking about a true freshman vs a 4th year senior:

Godfrey (2010)
2,159 passing yards
67% completions
9.1 Y/A
13 TDs, 8 Int
154.3 rating
566 rush yrds
Won league, Beat Georgia

Plumlee (2022)
2,586 passing yards
63% completions
7.5 Y/A
14 TDs, 8 Int
134.5 rating
862 rush yrds
11 TDs
Won nothing, beat nobody

Another factor in Godfrey's favor is a hard nose defense minded coach vs an offensive "genius". AND Plumlee fumbled the ball too damn much. So you can say you prefer Plumlee, but "better by a mile"? Child, please......
yes the defense was way better. That’s why we won. Not because we scored 10 points. But because we gave up 6. Being in CUSA also helped. Defenses in AAC last year were better than CUSA defenses. It’s not an apples to apples comparison, going stat for stat. Even though JRPs career UCF numbers will be better than Godfrey’s.

Godfrey (2010)
2,159 passing yards
67% completions
9.1 Y/A
13 TDs, 8 Int
154.3 rating
566 rush yrds
Won league, Beat Georgia

Plumlee (2022)
2,586 passing yards
63% completions
7.5 Y/A
14 TDs, 8 Int
134.5 rating
862 rush yrds
11 TDs
Won nothing, beat nobody

But did Godfrey play baseball and football in the same day?

yes the defense was way better. That’s why we won. Not because we scored 10 points. But because we gave up 6. Being in CUSA also helped. Defenses in AAC last year were better than CUSA defenses. It’s not an apples to apples comparison, going stat for stat. Even though JRPs career UCF numbers will be better than Godfrey’s.
Not apples to apples? LOL…..

And if Plumlee wrecks a knee in game 2 his stats will be better?

More realistic is having a non full-time fully dedicated QB wreck our season. Damn we should have had more options.

Reactions: Knight59
But did Godfrey play baseball and football in the same day?
Got me on that one, well served

No one is saying Jeff was hall of fame material, but lumping him with the motley crews from 2008 or 2015 isn’t right. And his stats are comparable with Plumlees, even as a true freshman. BTW, on a bad 2011 team where his play was nothing to write home about, Godfrey still ran for 9 TDs, increased his completion %, and still had a higher passing rating than Plumlee last year.

I don’t think Plumlee will run for double digit TDs this year.

Napier is talking to TC, I hear.
The portal now shows him 100% committed to Texas State. The problem with that is two other recent transfers, one from Baylor (who I know nothing about) and Malik Hornsby from Ark who will play rings around TC, a real bitch slapping.

I was really stumping to get Hornsby here in the Winter portal, but Gus being Gus being loyal until getting stabbed in the back (when a real friend stabs you in the front) made no move.

The portal now shows him 100% committed to Texas State. The problem with that is two other recent transfers, one from Baylor (who I know nothing about) and Malik Hornsby from Ark who will play rings around TC, a real bitch slapping.

I was really stumping to get Hornsby here in the Winter portal, but Gus being Gus being loyal until getting stabbed in the back (when a real friend stabs you in the front) made no move.
One 247 UCF writer put in an early CB to TXST = “100%”. Not quite a consensus yet, and odd that he hasn’t publicly committed yet.

Hornsby is more straight-line fast than quick/shifty like TC, and had issues with accuracy and processing under pressure at Ark., which was his rep in HS, too.

I watched Tommy for a few plays from the fall. How would you describe his strengths and limitations (besides height) as a QB? How would you compare him to Malik?

One 247 UCF writer put in an early CB to TXST = “100%”. Not quite a consensus yet, and odd that he hasn’t publicly committed yet.

Hornsby is more straight-line fast than quick/shifty like TC, and had issues with accuracy and processing under pressure at Ark., which was his rep in HS, too.

I watched Tommy for a few plays from the fall. How would you describe his strengths and limitations (besides height) as a QB? How would you compare him to Malik?
So my experience with Hornsby was when he was in HS a few miles from where I live. I don’t pay attention to Ark so don’t know what happened to him. Bad coaching, not enough reps, who knows.

Was awesome at the HS level, great speed rediculous speed, good strong arm but needed improvement at accuracy, thought he could really run the Gus offense to perfection with the right coaching. Bigger frame than Plumlee.

To me, TC never LOOKED like a QB, short, slender, if he had even decent fundamentals, they fell apart during what little action he saw…..that one was on Gus. An athlete doing his best to play like a QB but better suited as a 3rd down back…..where he would have been amazing.

But now we have one less option when Plumlee tweaks something.

our defense was so bad, we lost to Navy at home. Ugh!

So my experience with Hornsby was when he was in HS a few miles from where I live. I don’t pay attention to Ark so don’t know what happened to him. Bad coaching, not enough reps, who knows.

Was awesome at the HS level, great speed rediculous speed, good strong arm but needed improvement at accuracy, thought he could really run the Gus offense to perfection with the right coaching. Bigger frame than Plumlee.

To me, TC never LOOKED like a QB, short, slender, if he had even decent fundamentals, they fell apart during what little action he saw…..that one was on Gus. An athlete doing his best to play like a QB but better suited as a 3rd down back…..where he would have been amazing.

Plumlee must be small framed — Leek is slim, maybe 185 lb.

Thanks for the insights on Tommy.

Tommy was fast but he threw (chucked it up) into double coverage many times in the spring game. He did have one nice TD but I don't see him as a Big-12 QB. Timmy from USF seems much better suited. :)

Thought Whittmore was going to handle that

Overrated recruit? Thought Gatewood, Lewis, or Johnson went home with that hardware.
Whittemore is terrible. He is worse than "Hondo." Gus signed him out of panic after losing Christian Leary. All of the Florida offensive players suck. Kenmore Gamble proved that. Florida should give Dan Mullen a contract for a day so it can fire him again.

Gatewood, Lewis, or Johnson are all transfers.

Thompson and Lee are high school recruits that Gus missed on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FoxKnight
Whittemore is terrible. He is worse than "Hondo." Gus signed him out of panic after losing Christian Leary. All of the Florida offensive players suck. Kenmore Gamble proved that. Florida should give Dan Mullen a contract for a day so it can fire him again.

Gatewood, Lewis, or Johnson are all transfers.

Thompson and Lee are high school recruits that Gus missed on.
I don’t know if I’d even say he missed on them (yet), they just didn’t give any time to develop. Such is college football these days. Playing time would be hard at both DE and WR this year, decently stocked at those 2 positions.

Reactions: UCFootball14
No Quan Lee sightings on the field last season and probably none this season with all the competition. Good move by him...

Reactions: FoxKnight
Proof that NIL doesnt guarantee success
He didn’t even wait enough to see if he can get playing time. I mean, who is going to pay NIL to a player who redshirted…nobody with any business sense, that’s who. You gotta at least give a place a few years to see what is going down. As we all know, the landscape can change quickly.

Branden Jennings has ented the transfer portal

Travis Williams' linebacker recruiting strikes again.

Patrick Burnett...

Monday Night Raw Reaction GIF by WWE

If one of y'all can give me Burnett's email address I will get him these important instructions.

Last edited:
Coach Gus is going full Coach Prime
Having followed Gus his entire collegiate career, I can attest that he has never cut a player. One or more of a few scenarios are work here.

A. Gus has matured as a head coach and understands the importance of every scholarship.

B. Gus is allowing his position coaches to dictate who each assistant does and does not want in his position room.

C. The players see the writing on the wall and are transferring for an opportunity to find somewhere they can actually play.

I am good with all three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT