ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ UCLA to Big 10?

AZ schools, Utah, and Colorado don't add the value the conference needs to get remotely close to the B10 and SEC moves. Its wishful thinking but I think the B12 should try to poach desirable ACC schools for good regional matchups for the current east coast B12 schools.
If ACC flagship schools can get out of their situation, its to go to SEC or B10. Can't see why ACC schools think jumping to any other conference and paying any amount of exit fees would be worth it. Would be like UCF paying AAC exit fee to join a non-P5 conference.

AZ schools, Utah, and Colorado don't add the value the conference needs to get remotely close to the B10 and SEC moves. Its wishful thinking but I think the B12 should try to poach desirable ACC schools for good regional matchups for the current east coast B12 schools.
Exactly. AZ, ASU, UT, and CO don't have desirable brands. The best is Utah which is a flagship school and would have in state rivalry with BYU. Plus I'd love the opportunity to travel to Utah.

Here's the ideal scenario imo for UCF...

Big 10 (creates a western travel pod):
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Mountain West (no where to go):
Oregon state
Washington state

Big 12 (best of the rest):
ASU
Arizona
Utah
Colorado

Here's the ideal scenario imo for UCF...

Big 10 (creates a western travel pod):
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Mountain West (no where to go):
Oregon state
Washington state

Big 12 (best of the rest):
ASU
Arizona
Utah
Colorado
No chance the Big10 takes a total of 6 PAC12 teams. Cal is not getting an invite

From the editor at GoPokes24/7...

"It is difficult to predict what the next move(s) will be, but the Big 12 — with its new commissioner Brett Yormark — is in a position to be the aggressor and potentially expand further by targeting some of the remaining schools in the Pac-12, like Oregon, Utah, Washington, Arizona or Arizona State. Before that, let's take a chance to digest the current news."

Okie State AD weights in on expansion....

https://247sports.com/college/oklah...g-weighs-in-conference-realignment-189475797/

Pessimistic but "Before that, let's take a chance to digest the current news" seems like a recipe for being left behind. "Let's delay"

Reactions: Knight Strength
One minute I feel really good about this for UCF, the next I feel really pessimistic.

I also cant tell if this is good or bad for the likes of USF, Boise, etc. I say bad. But their board gets in my head where they actually talk about the ACC..

Luck favors the prepared and we did it right.

One minute I feel really good about this for UCF, the next I feel really pessimistic.

I also cant tell if this is good or bad for the likes of USF, Boise, etc. I say bad. But their board gets in my head where they actually talk about the ACC..

It’s bad for everyone not in the SEC or Big10. CFB is contracting to two conferences step by step. The only thing that is preventing now is the ACC GoR. This is the reason no changes were made to the playoffs. Those two conferences will poach the remaining blue bloods and will effectively be the nfc and afc and hold its own Super Bowl.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
It’s bad for everyone not in the SEC or Big10. CFB is contracting to two conferences step by step. The only thing that is preventing now is the ACC GoR. This is the reason no changes were made to the playoffs. Those two conferences will poach the remaining blue bloods and will effectively be the nfc and afc and hold its own Super Bowl.
Yeah I agree. I guess I meant from 2023-2036. Haha. Where is UCF in that area between now and the ACC GOR.

That gives us time to win games and maybe prove something.

Media markets don't matter as much. Streaming eliminates that. Our alumni and growth potential should be what these conference want.

But we dont have enough "old money" to really say much I guess. Lame.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I’ve heard inside info Clemson and FSU are on deck, working on a way out to Big10. Feel like SEC would be better fit and I don’t know how you get around ACC Grant of Rights, but this is a booster very close to all FSU decisions.
Mike Huguenin mentioned on Bianchi's show the ACC just renegotiated their TV deal taking them out to 2036. Both Miami and FSU's GOR buyouts would be ~$500M. I would assume this would also apply to Clemson. OU and Texas, both very rich schools struggling in the $80M range so I don't understand how FSU or Clemson could come up w/that kind of money. Not sure if the ACC schools could afford deflecting to the SEC or BIG10.

It’s going to end up just about 40 teams split by two conferences. Once those two conferences get Washington Oregon, fsu Miami Clemson and Norte dame they’ll completely break away from everyone else. They’ll be the equivalent of the afc and nfc. They’ll conduct their own 4 or six team playoff with the the winners of the big10 and sec meeting for a championship like the Super Bowl. They only thing preventing it now is ACC GoR.
Honestly, Is this so bad?

They can enjoy their own little circle jerk like they do now, but it will be very transparent. I’m sure viewers will love seeing the same four teams in their playoff for the next 20 years.

idk why you guys waste time reading usf fans delusions . They are in a really bad spot with crap attendance, they are most likely stuck w the likes of Middle Tennessee State for the next decade

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Mike Huguenin mentioned on Bianchi's show the ACC just renegotiated their TV deal taking them out to 2036. Both Miami and FSU's GOR buyouts would be ~$500M. I would assume this would also apply to Clemson. OU and Texas, both very rich schools struggling in the $80M range so I don't understand how FSU or Clemson could come up w/that kind of money. Not sure if the ACC schools could afford deflecting to the SEC or BIG10.
ACC dissolving is the least likely to happen, which is bad for B12 and PAC12. ACC is in best position to poach teams. However, there is two groups in charge. ABC/ESPN and Fox. Those two can shape college football however they want, as we have seen demonstrated for years now.

The stronger B10 and SEC gets the worst it is for everyone that is not in those two conferences. They are going to get priority for money and rules, until it is essentially a P2.

It's overall bad for College Football. Now it's undeniable that the Texas-OU move opened the door for us to move up in the pecking order of College Football. That was very good. Unfortunately the College Football Landscape is turning from the Haves (P5) and the Have Nots (G5) to the Haves (Big 10-SEC) the Have Nots (Big 12, Pac, ACC) and the Never-Will-Bes (The Rest)

"The Big Ten, as they did USC and UCLA, will review and study potential options, but nothing is expected soon/imminent."

This did not happen overnight that final statement makes me think they are pausing taking on more teams from the Pac 12, and waiting on some other teams from a different conference. Maybe Notre Dame or a Clemson. Look out ACC.
Bingo. I think Notre Dame to Big10, Clemson wants SEC.

They can enjoy their own little circle jerk like they do now, but it will be very transparent. I’m sure viewers will love seeing the same four teams in their playoff for the next 20 years.
Its not a huge difference than what it has been for the last 20 years. Except now those programs won't have 2-3 games each year vs. FCS/weak g5 teams, nor meaningless bowl games. However, for schools like UCF and everyone else they will now never play against flagship schools and spend the rest of the days playing former middle of the road P5 teams and G5.

UCF comes out of nowhere in Gus Malzahn’s second year and wins the Natty. F’s all this stuff up. ⚔️🖤💛🍺🍺
We have the talent to be a legit top 4 team.

But our SOS sucks this year, no way we get into the playoffs.

We'll be in the conversation by the end of the year.

We have the talent to be a legit top 4 team.

But our SOS sucks this year, no way we get into the playoffs.

We'll be in the conversation by the end of the year.
That seems to be a big leap to say the talent is a legit top 4 team.

Reactions: PhDee
UCF's SOS will be known closer to end of season, versus beginning. I don't think it is that bad actually...

The POTENTIAL that may crack top 25 I THINK would be:

SMU
Cincinnatti
Memphis
Louisville
MAYBE Georgia Tech
Houston (AAC champ game perhaps)
NOT usf

ACC dissolving is the least likely to happen, which is bad for B12 and PAC12. ACC is in best position to poach teams. However, there is two groups in charge. ABC/ESPN and Fox. Those two can shape college football however they want, as we have seen demonstrated for years now.

The stronger B10 and SEC gets the worst it is for everyone that is not in those two conferences. They are going to get priority for money and rules, until it is essentially a P2.

Unfortunate all these conference contracts don't align with each other. Would be ideal for someone like Amazon to offer up exclusivity to BIG12/ACC & keep them afloat while getting more into the sports scene. They have been trying to with NFL.

Its not a huge difference than what it has been for the last 20 years. Except now those programs won't have 2-3 games each year vs. FCS/weak g5 teams, nor meaningless bowl games. However, for schools like UCF and everyone else they will now never play against flagship schools and spend the rest of the days playing former middle of the road P5 teams and G5.
Right. I agree. I said this yesterday. Soon enough the P2/P3 will stop scheduling any G5 schools.

As long as there
I would imagine the SEC will respond. I don't think we have anything to worry about. At least not in regards to the Big 12. My guess is the SEC goes after UNC, and UVA/Va Tech with UVA the better academics and Va Tech a better cultural fit.
Beyond 18 I'm not sure where they go. I don't think FSU, Miami or Clemson get them exactly what they want. Maybe the don't look at tv markets and just look at who brings eyeballs. Clemson fits the bill and Miami will always generate eyeballs, just as a villain to root against.
It's kind of crazy. The way things are going these conference are going to expand so much they are defeating the purpose of expansion. Each division is going to have 8, 9 , 10 teams, which basically means each division will in essence, be its own conference, no different than now. The only difference being one conference patch on the jerseys and one conference collecting all the money.

In my opinion, what all these teams are being short-sighted on is the ability to win things that matter. To win hardware. Does anybody really think adding Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC makes it easier for any 1 team in the SEC to win anything that matters in college football? There will be so many teams the chances of you winning is going to go down. The only way to circumvent things is to have these "super-conferences" not have a championship game. The winner of each division goes to whatever BS "playoff" they create, which is essentially what was happening before this consolidation.

I don't know. Anybody have crazy initial thoughts on how this plays out? What is the end game?

Last edited:
idk why you guys waste time reading usf fans delusions . They are in a really bad spot with crap attendance, they are most likely stuck w the likes of Middle Tennessee State for the next decade
Logically true, but they keep failing upwards.....didn’t belong in any conference they have been in......empty trophy case FTW

Reactions: UCFGrad05

If they do form 2 super leagues and break from the NCAA then March Madness is dead

I'm not sure I love this. This has always been the fear of many having essentially 2 super conferences and everyone else.
I think your fear is justified. With the SEC grabbing Texas and Oklahoma, and the Big Ten grabbing USC and UCLA, you essentially have two super conferences. Don't be surprised when TV rights come along that these two Big Dawgs decide to say 'screw you' to the rest of the CFB world and form a college football alliance where bowl games and the national championship playoffs are determined between these two leagues.

Given the money and attention it wil garner, it would pressure Notre Dame to join up with the B1G and Clemson with the SEC.

And everybody else? As far as the Big Two superconferences are concerned, the rest of them can play for championships in their own second-tier conferences and play in their own bowl games and, perhaps, proclaim their own 'national' championship game. The Big Two won't care 'cause they're the ones with the big bucks and the mega-TV contracts.

In my opinion, what all these teams are being short-sighted on is the ability to win things that matter. To win hardware. Does anybody really think adding Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC makes it easier for any 1 team in the SEC to win anything that matters in college football? There will be so many teams the chances of you winning is going to go down. The only way to circumvent things is to have these "super-conferences" not have a championship game. The winner of each division goes to whatever BS "playoff" they create, which is essentially what was happening before this consolidation.

I don't know. Anybody have crazy initial thoughts on how this plays out?

The assumption is that winning hardware is what matters. Being in the super conference means you will always be relevant, have resources, get paid. Think of schools like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, ect. They may suck at football for decades, but they are in better position than 90% of schools.

This feels like ABA transition to NBA. Take some teams, the others kind of just dissolve from playing on the big stage. But the teams that remain become Multi-Billion dollar companies.

The vision from ABC/FOX, you only have major programs playing other major programs every week. No FCS, no G5. Georgia schedule is playing Florida, Texas, Michigan, USC, Alabama, Nebraska, Tennessee, LSU, Arkansas, Wisconsin, ect. Now the final step would be for them to figure out how to get rid of Vanderbilt, Northwestern, ect.

I don't believe this is a college sports apocalypse.

Sure, a conference or two may dissolve or relegate. Happened before. (WAC, SWC, etc)

Sure a power concentration may occur...that's also nothing new. Was MORE exclusive with BCS...arguably.

Most of the powers involved, per what I heard on sports programs KNOW that college fans want their college sports, I don't think there is a desire to outright f*ck that up. They know...

usf will still be f*cked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT