ADVERTISEMENT

2 for 1's

Between 2021 and 2026 Boise has 1 with Oklahoma State, 2 with Michigan State, 3 with Oregon, 2 with Oregon State. The Oregon series is a 2 for 1.

Between 2021 and 2026 UCF has 2 with Louisville, 1 with Georgia Tech, 1 with UNC. That's it.

There's a big difference between the two, and that difference is the 2-1 with Oregon.
And in any given year Oregon may or may not be better than a team like BYU or Boise who are on the UCF schedule. UCF should do 2-1 with teams that are practically guaranteed great every year. And that list of teams is about 5 and maybe 10 at a stretch. After that there is no real benefit over a 1-1 with a mid tier ACC or Boise or BYU.

I think the equivalent to Oregon for Boise, would be the Florida teams for us, Florida, FSU, Miami. Oregon is definitely a better program than Boise, BYU and the mid-tier ACC teams, it's not even a question.

I have no freaking clue, and neither do you.

Washington and Michigan State, not blue bloods, but certainly much better programs than the mid-tier ACC teams that were scheduling us pre-2017.

LOL!!!

UCF hosted South Carolina...who ended up #4 team in the country that season as USC held on for a 28-25 win over UCF. Cocks finished the season with an 11-2 record.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
I have been curious on how the figure is created. According to this article, from June 2017 to June 2018 football ticket sales was $4.6 million.

LOL!!

2017???

Even in mid Nov as a Top 15 team...UCF game crowds looked like this (due to weak season tix base)

UCF-vs-UCONN-Nov-11-2017-pano.jpg

Also...donations are counted in another category...as most sideline season tix require a donation to purchase.

UCF season tix base has basically doubled vs what it was like in 2017...Premium Clubs have all been expanded or added...hence why the donations (minus 2020 pandemic year) have skyrocketed along with it.

Last edited:
Another thing most are forgetting...there is just one P5 Conf located east of TX (Pac-12) and just one main G5 Conf too (MWC).

Heck...in FL alone, there are SEC, ACC, AAC and CUSA Teams in just one state...let alone all the others in neighboring states.

There is nothing next to Boise except Pac-12 teams....so its a HUGE advantage to them and Pac-12 teams know that Boise will bring more fans than say vs many P5 teams from the East Coast and Midwest.

I think the equivalent to Oregon for Boise, would be the Florida teams for us, Florida, FSU, Miami. Oregon is definitely a better program than Boise, BYU and the mid-tier ACC teams, it's not even a question.
Oregon has been ranked once in the 5 years since Frost left. Boise has owned them head to head and has been more consistently ranked than Oregon. Plus the added bonus of a 1-1 matchup for us.

Can I ask historically what makes Oregon a top 25 program or historically better than a program like BYU? I get that under Chip Kelly’s system they were excellent, but they weren’t in the top couple tiers of programs before or after that.

Reactions: Knight_Light
LOL!!!

UCF hosted South Carolina...who ended up #4 team in the country that season as USC held on for a 28-25 win over UCF. Cocks finished the season with an 11-2 record.
Not sure what's so funny and how that's relevant to our current scheduling troubles. Our circumstances have changed.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

How many National Championships has Oregon won over the last few decades?

In over 100 plus years of being a conf member, Oregon has won 13 conf titles.

Since 2007, UCF has won 6.

LOL!!

2017???

Even in mid Nov as a Top 15 team...UCF game crowds looked like this (due to weak season tix base)

UCF-vs-UCONN-Nov-11-2017-pano.jpg

Also...donations are counted in another category...as most sideline season tix require a donation to purchase.

UCF season tix base has basically doubled vs what it was like in 2017...Premium Clubs have all been expanded or added...hence why the donations (minus 2020 pandemic year) have skyrocketed along with it.

Lol, so adding 50% to the sales numbers is not enough? Heck if you want to make up numbers and say UCF doubled their revenue (which is absolutely ridiculous). That still means there is $1.7 million in revenue per game that is not included.

Also don't see how donations get factored into gameday revenue. Seems like trying to double dip in counting it as donation and revenue.

Lol, so adding 50% to the sales numbers is not enough? Heck if you want to make up numbers and say UCF doubled their revenue (which is absolutely ridiculous). That still means there is $1.7 million in revenue per game that is not included.

Also don't see how donations get factored into gameday revenue. Seems like trying to double dip in counting it as donation and revenue.
2 seasons ago the number was 2 mil. Only way that goes up is if we have less home games and season tickets still sell out.

Oregon has been ranked once in the 5 years since Frost left. Boise has owned them head to head and has been more consistently ranked than Oregon. Plus the added bonus of a 1-1 matchup for us.

Can I ask historically what makes Oregon a top 25 program or historically better than a program like BYU? I get that under Chip Kelly’s system they were excellent, but they weren’t in the top couple tiers of programs before or after that.
List of teams that have been in the national championship game multiple times since 2010: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Oregon.

List of teams that have been in the national championship game multiple times since 2010: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Oregon.
What’s the list since 2015? Like I said they had an excellent run under Kelly and then Helfrich, but historically are not a blue blood program and slightly worse overall than a BYU (worse win %, less conference championships, national championships, bowl seasons, etc.)

Fans- don’t care about the budget. Most want UCF to play “big” games as demonstrated in a radio poll.

UCF athletic director- Wants UCF to play big games. He’s in charge of the

Coach GM— Wants UCF to play big games

UCF players— Want to play big games

UCF recruits—Want to play in big games

One big booster that I’ve spoken with—Wants UCF to play big games

Raise your hand if you don’t want UCF to play big games. Are we scared? The Budget?

What’s the list since 2015? Like I said they had an excellent run under Kelly and then Helfrich, but historically are not a blue blood program and slightly worse overall than a BYU (worse win %, less conference championships, national championships, bowl seasons, etc.)
Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. So yeah Oregon is not one of the top 3 teams in the last 6 years.

BYU has never played in a BCS or NY6 bowl game. The 2020 season was the first time they finished in the Top 25 since 2011, when they finished 25th. I mean are we really having this conversation? Oregon is a much better program than BYU.

Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. So yeah Oregon is not one of the top 3 teams in the last 6 years.

BYU has never played in a BCS or NY6 bowl game. The 2020 season was the first time they finished in the Top 25 since 2011, when they finished 25th. I mean are we really having this conversation? Oregon is a much better program than BYU.
You seem to want to have the conversation. Was just asking based on what. Since BYU leads Oregon historically nearly across the board in measures by which you would rank a football program. Maybe by some arbitrary timeframe metrics like top 25s since 2011 or national championship appearances since 2010 then Oregon gets the nod. But who are you actually scheduling? BYU was #11 last year and Oregon was 4-3. Unranked for the 4th time in 5 years. Which was kind of my point. I’m ok will sacrificing a home game in a 2-1 scenario for a team like Ohio State or something that is guaranteed to be a top flight ranked team year in and year out. Oregon, despite you best attempts to make it so, is not that team.

You seem to want to have the conversation. Was just asking based on what. Since BYU leads Oregon historically nearly across the board in measures by which you would rank a football program. Maybe by some arbitrary timeframe metrics like top 25s since 2011 or national championship appearances since 2010 then Oregon gets the nod. But who are you actually scheduling? BYU was #11 last year and Oregon was 4-3. Unranked for the 4th time in 5 years. Which was kind of my point. I’m ok will sacrificing a home game in a 2-1 scenario for a team like Ohio State or something that is guaranteed to be a top flight ranked team year in and year out. Oregon, despite you best attempts to make it so, is not that team.
Arbitrary timeframe? BYU not being ranked for 9 years is some arbitrary timeframe I pulled out of my ass?

I mean this is recent history, an 11 year time period where BYU has finished in the top 25 twice and Oregon has played in the national championship game twice. Prior to that BYU was playing in the MWC and WAC and Oregon was playing in the Pac-10. Yes, I'm sure BYU had a better record and more conference championships than Oregon, but we're not talking about the same thing are we?

Last edited:
Arbitrary timeframe? BYU not being ranked for 9 years is some arbitrary timeframe I pulled out of my ass?

I mean this is recent history, an 11 year time period where BYU has finished in the top 25 twice and Oregon has played in the national championship game twice. Prior to that BYU was playing in the MWC and WAC and Oregon was playing in the Pac-10. Yes, I'm sure BYU had a better record and more conference championships than Oregon, but we're not talking about the same thing are we?
Yes you chose an arbitrary timeframe of 11 years. Not the more recent timeframe of 5 years which is more consistent with Oregon’s historical success. Not the most recent example of 2020 when BYU was among the elites. If UCF could guarantee they were scheduling a Chip Kelly Scott Frost Oregon team from 10 years ago then it might make sense. But as I said Oregon has only been ranked once since Frost left. Now 6 years ago.

Yes you chose an arbitrary timeframe of 11 years. Not the more recent timeframe of 5 years which is more consistent with Oregon’s historical success. Not the most recent example of 2020 when BYU was among the elites. If UCF could guarantee they were scheduling a Chip Kelly Scott Frost Oregon team from 10 years ago then it might make sense. But as I said Oregon has only been ranked once since Frost left. Now 6 years ago.

Odds are a top five NFL Draft QB had an impact on BYU success, and probably not going to be on the same level going forward.

Oregon is more likely to reload and be successful. And FYI, Oregon finished 5th in the country in 2019, that seems pretty elite and current.

Odds are a top five NFL Draft QB had an impact on BYU success, and probably not going to be on the same level going forward.

Oregon is more likely to reload and be successful. And FYI, Oregon finished 5th in the country in 2019, that seems pretty elite and current.
Not sure if the irony is lost on you or not but it’s funny that you mention a top NFL QB for BYU last year and then in the next breath talk about Oregon in 2019 who had their QB drafted 6th. And we actually have a data point after Herbert left where Oregon was not a top 25 team. I’m not even saying I’d be mad if we scheduled Oregon for a 2-1 because it is a matchup we haven’t seen yet, I just don’t think long term we should be scheduling like that with teams that aren’t consistently great. And in my opinion Oregon is not that level. You are entitled to your own opinion.

Oregon's played in a NY6 bowl game 7 of the last 11 years. (sorry about the arbitrary 11 years again)
And in the 11 years prior to that they played in 1. Like I said they have had one great year out of the past 5 with a 4th year starting QB who was drafted 6th overall. Last year they made a NY6 but were not even ranked and got blown out. Finished at 4-3. I’m not denying the success they had during the Chip Kelly Frost years. But it’s irrelevant for scheduling games set to take place in the future and not the early 2010s.

Boise State after their breakthrough win in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl, played at least one top 25 P5 team from 2008-2012. Do you think that's comparable to what is currently on our slate right now?

Its laughable that you think we can just call you any team in the country and get them on the schedule.
Fans- don’t care about the budget. Most want UCF to play “big” games as demonstrated in a radio poll.

UCF athletic director- Wants UCF to play big games. He’s in charge of the

Coach GM— Wants UCF to play big games

UCF players— Want to play big games

UCF recruits—Want to play in big games

One big booster that I’ve spoken with—Wants UCF to play big games

Raise your hand if you don’t want UCF to play big games. Are we scared? The Budget?

I would like for UCF to play "big" games. Let us see what the AD comes up with. UGA would be fun.

Its laughable that you think we can just call you any team in the country and get them on the schedule.
Whole lot of people saying I said things that I never said in this thread. In fact I've said quite the opposite of the above in multiple posts. It's the whole reason I'm advocating for 2 for 1s because obviously a different scheduling strategy needs to be tried.

Whole lot of people saying I said things that I never said in this thread. In fact I've said quite the opposite of the above in multiple posts. It's the whole reason I'm advocating for 2 for 1s because obviously a different scheduling strategy needs to be tried.

It's a great example of escalation of commitment. Some people supported DW's scheduling strategy and they have made the same tired points year after year. They are not about to stop now.

It's a great example of escalation of commitment. Some people supported DW's scheduling strategy and they have made the same tired points year after year. They are not about to stop now.
And I don't really blame DW for what he did, claiming the national championship was terrific from a marketing standpoint, brought all kinds of eyeballs and money to this program, and he kinda had to back it up with an equally bold scheduling strategy. But the strategy ultimately led to us being basically blacklisted from getting any P5 home and homes. So I think his departure was actually good timing, because while the upcoming OOC slate looks bad, it's still salvageable, so it's important Mohajir comes in and takes a different tone, takes a different course when it comes to scheduling. It's perfect really, the outside world still sees us as the brash up and coming program that said FU to the P5 and claimed a national championship, but we've got an Athletic Director in there that no longer has to live up to the previous guys bold stances.

I can almost guarantee there won’t be any noteable additions until at least 2024. 2021 already has Boise and Louisville. 2022 has Georgia Tech and Louisville and is only missing the yearly FCS. 2023 has BYU and Boise which from a scheduling perspective were taking the place of the mid tier P5.

I can almost guarantee there won’t be any noteable additions until at least 2024. 2021 already has Boise and Louisville. 2022 has Georgia Tech and Louisville and is only missing the yearly FCS. 2023 has BYU and Boise which from a scheduling perspective were taking the place of the mid tier P5.
Agreed, but considering Notre Dame and Florida just scheduled a home and home for 2031 and 2032, and this is not at all uncommon for college football. If we're just scheduling for 2025 now we're already behind.

Maybe the new AD will get rid of the FCS game. I'd like to see that game replaced with a better opponent.

Maybe the new AD will get rid of the FCS game. I'd like to see that game replaced with a better opponent.

I think that’s his only option if he wants to inject a Top25 P5 opponent right away for Gus.

Maybe he attempts to get with one of these neutral site Kickoff games.

2022 has openings in the kickoff games for All State Kickoff (ATT Stadium Texas) and World Camping Kickoff (Orlando). Gabriel is an academic senior in 2022. 2nd year of Gus might be a special season.

2022 OOC:
@FIU (can probably change the date)
GTech
Louisville

With 2 home games already scheduled we can afford a neutral site game without impacting the season ticket holders value

Last edited:
I think that’s his only option if he wants to eject a Top25 P5 opponent right away for Gus.

Maybe he attempts to get with one of these neutral site Kickoff games.

2022 has openings in the kickoff games for All State Kickoff (ATT Stadium Texas) and World Camping Kickoff (Orlando). Gabriel is an academic senior in 2022. 2nd year of Gus might be a special season.

2022 OOC:
@FIU (can probably change the date)
GTech
Louisville

With 2 home games already scheduled we can afford a neutral site game without impacting the season ticket holders value
Has there been any talk of sponsored neutral site games at the new Raiders stadium in Vegas? Bc that venue is perfect to host a Labor Day matchup

I think the Fiesta Bowl should leave Arizona for Vegas

Has there been any talk of sponsored neutral site games at the new Raiders stadium in Vegas? Bc that venue is perfect to host a Labor Day matchup

I think the Fiesta Bowl should leave Arizona for Vegas

I don’t even know if we have figured out if these Kickoff games are profitable. World Camping Kickoff is struggling.

It’s not like bowl games that you have a lot of time to prepare for a bowl trip. Kids just got back to school for kickoff games so it’s harder to get the family together for a trip. The student body isn’t available to travel because classes are ongoing instead of being on winter break.

Last edited:
Has there been kickoff games with G5 teams? It's one thing to sell to another school why to play, its another to convince businesses with millions invested why UCF should play vs. a higher profile P5 team (vast majority of middle to bottom pack P5 teams will never play these games).

I don’t even know if we have figured out if these Kickoff games are profitable. World Camping Kickoff is struggling.

It’s not like bowl games that you have a lot of time to prepare for a bowl trip. Kids just got back to school for kickoff games so it’s harder to get the family together for a trip. The student body isn’t available to travel because classes are ongoing instead of being on winter break.
Huh? kickoff games or week 2 you have like 6 months to prepare. Bowl games can be less than a month

and there are a lot of the student body that head to the beach or out of State for the last long weekend of summer so I think it is the ideal Weekend to not have a game On Campus

Has there been kickoff games with G5 teams? It's one thing to sell to another school why to play, its another to convince businesses with millions invested why UCF should play vs. a higher profile P5 team (vast majority of middle to bottom pack P5 teams will never play these games).

Chick Fil A Kickoff (Atlanta, GA)
Boise State in 2011 vs Georgia and 2014 vs Ole Miss

Chick Fil A Kickoff (Atlanta, GA)
Boise State in 2011 vs Georgia and 2014 vs Ole Miss

Just looked it up in 2011, Boise St was ranked 5th. In 2014 unranked, and the game drew 32k fans (average is 70k). That probably left a bad impression.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT