ADVERTISEMENT

DG enters transfer portal

This is where I stand, maybe no one is asking but since everyone else is saying there opinions why not.

1. Losing DG is a big loss. He’s a very good QB
2. I would’ve loved for him to stay because with him I think we had a shot at the AAC title next year with him and without him we are probably 9-3/8-4 next year.
3. It seems like everyone either thinks he’s the second coming of Jesus or a bottom tier player. He was an extremely good deep ball thrower, a very good all around quarterback, but had flaws that kept him from being great that people also need to realize. I.e. not being able to read a zone defense to save his life. He was very good, but not great.

I’m annoyed he left, might cause us an extra loss or two next year, but we’ll be fine medium to long term (hopefully).
fair post. I have been high on DG and followed him back to the early recruiting thread days. My take is that his lack of big wins was bc of some bad luck and circumstances around him. UCF's fortune of always having a GREAT WR or 2 on the outside eventually cycled out of the Program once DG took over. It felt like the Program around him was declining. But maybe the leadership questions are correct, we'll see how he does at Ole Miss or wherever. I will say he didn't have the best body language at times when things got challenging, pretty shitty attitude vs BYU. KZ always seemed positive and the locker room loved him, and talk out of FSU is the same even though he lost the starting job

Context: good teams and good quarterbacks need to be able to win close games. DG won only 2 of 9 one-possession games that he started. You may try to explain away all nine of those one possession games and indicate that all nine were "not created equal." Nevertheless, 2 of 9 is not impressive no matter how anyone may slice and spin it.
I think the Big game statistics is more of a result of Heupel's fast paced offense that left the defense on the field way to long. DG is not a running QB. HE has an NFL arm and in the NFL the QB is not required to run. Just scramble and throw the ball.

Might be in the minority but I DON’T wish him well and wherever he goes I hope he fails miserably. I have enjoyed watching Frost lose game after game and now I have another one to root against. Grass is not always green on the other side and maybe his success was due to the opponents he played (time will only tell)

DG leaving hurts our team for sure, but he is far from irreplaceable. He was 18-8 with no conference championships so not like he was a world beater.

WR #2 Kaedin Robinson in the portal also. Spots are opening up, wondering if Jaylon Robinson is gone too??

Not sure why anyone feels a college kid owes the program or a new coaching staff anything. I’m disappointed but not surprised he’s transferring. He could have been a big distraction but waited until after the regular season was over.

No one complains when we get a big time transfer to the team. Gus will land a player who wants to play for him (and UCF) and that’s what matters.

Might be in the minority but I DON’T wish him well and wherever he goes I hope he fails miserably. I have enjoyed watching Frost lose game after game and now I have another one to root against. Grass is not always green on the other side and maybe his success was due to the opponents he played (time will only tell)

DG leaving hurts our team for sure, but he is far from irreplaceable. He was 18-8 with no conference championships so not like he was a world beater.
I'm with you. I don't wish him well either. I also don't wish anything against him and I'm not a hater, but wishing him well is pretty weak. I hope people see that they fall off when they leave UCF, that's how people will learn to respect us and what we have to offer.

Who's up next, huge opportunity here for a new QB!

112 passing yards vs USF yesterday and we're debating whether this is a loss to the team or not. FFS what planet am I living on?

I don't want a dude who doesn't want to be here either but the team is worse today - debate over. All I want now is for my coach to earn his bread and fix this ish. Another season with Mikey and I'm selling my duckets on Stubhub.
I’m definitely not buying tickets to watch Keene. Gus needs to figure it out, can’t keep rolling out this guy.

So it’s only a big game if he loses? Why is Louisville a big game but not Stanford or Georgia Tech? Makes no sense. To me a big game is a trophy game or a game against a P5 team as a G5. Or a ranked matchup or a CCG.
Ok never mind big games. How about when the game (big or small) was on the line, he could never lead the team to victory. He was 0-6! That pretty much says it all.

Ok, we went from leading the nation in passing to not being able to throw the ball at all vs. a pitiful USF team. With Gabriel under center we put up big points against Boise and Louisville to not being able to do much of anything vs. the dregs of the AAC, you may have watched, but you weren’t computing what you were seeing.
Not necessarily, different coach now. Look how Gus used him when before he was injured.

The team would be stronger with him. Mikey has a ways to go as will any freshman who Gus brings in. Dillon didn't win like Kenzie, but he doesn't have the team knezie had either. Honestly do you think the players on this years team are within 4 touchdowns of our undefeated team? This is a setback don't think otherwise. Why did it come to this? That's the mystery. Gus is a hard ass kind of old school . I think he wants more of a dual threat runner. I don't think Heupel did, and that's who kept DG happy. Gabriel leaving maybe becasue the offense next year doesn't suit him, doesn't fit him. Why the hell do you think Gatewood came in? Gus wants a runner. It's a mutual parting of ways in my opinion.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Ok never mind big games. How about when the game (big or small) was on the line, he could never lead the team to victory. He was 0-6! That pretty much says it all.
Didn’t he lead us back from big deficits to take the lead on Boise and Pitt? Is it his fault the defense gives up 50 and we can’t make routine field goals vs Memphis? Does any of this actually have to do with his ability to play QB? Which is light years ahead of our other QB options?

The team would be stronger with him. Mikey has a ways to go as will any freshman who Gus brings in. Dillon didn't win like Kenzie, but he doesn't have the team knezie had either. Honestly do you think the players on this years team are within 4 touchdowns of our undefeated team? This is a setback don't think otherwise. Why did it come to this? That's the mystery. Gus is a hard ass kind of old school . I think he wants more of a dual threat runner. I don't think Heupel did, and that's who kept DG happy. Gabriel leaving maybe becasue the offense next year doesn't suit him, doesn't fit him. Why the hell do you think Gatewood came in? Gus wants a runner. It's a mutual parting of ways in my opinion.
You could be right. Gus certainly used him much differently that Heup.

Not sure why anyone feels a college kid owes the program or a new coaching staff anything. I’m disappointed but not surprised he’s transferring. He could have been a big distraction but waited until after the regular season was over.

No one complains when we get a big time transfer to the team. Gus will land a player who wants to play for him (and UCF) and that’s what matters.
I hope so. Hopefully, not another Gatewood

Reactions: Yaes
Who would you have suggest Gus roll out instead of Mikey.
ANYONE…

Give Navarro or Quadry a shot. I’ve seen nothing I hate from Navarro and Quadry has shown shown capable. We have played very BAD defenses and Keene has done terribly. I’ve seen enough…

Yes players transfer all the time and we have had many transfer in and benefited. But what I find most frustrating and no one has mentioned us all those players were buried on a depth chart or lost their starting spot. DG was our star qb who was the undisputed starter, face of the program guy who had a lot of success and a lot to prove. I can’t think of one time a star transferred without losing their starting gig. This is what hurts the most to me and why I feel that spiteful urge creeping up. I hope he transfers somewhere and gets beat out, Tate Martell style. Clown…

Yes players transfer all the time and we have had many transfer in and benefited. But what I find most frustrating and no one has mentioned us all those players were buried on a depth chart or lost their starting spot. DG was our star qb who was the undisputed starter, face of the program guy who had a lot of success and a lot to prove. I can’t think of one time a star transferred without losing their starting gig. This is what hurts the most to me and why I feel that spiteful urge creeping up. I hope he transfers somewhere and gets beat out, Tate Martell style. Clown…
The difference is $ through NIL now. DG has a super low chance at making it the NFL, as does every QB. Why not cash in now while you actually can?

bc he may be a top 5 talent in CFB at QB and we just watched Keene for weeks. Also UCF usually doesn’t have starters leave and have a good track record of players loving it here . It is rare for UCF

Thoughts from the armchair:

- Wish him the best of luck and thankful for the time he was with us
- Our "Style" of football has changed, not a fit for DG's brand
- The ability of our OL has to concern DGs prospects, it was another game of Keene is running for his life
Most of our starting O line graduate, I’m sure this factored into his decision after getting hurt.

The difference is $ through NIL now. DG has a super low chance at making it the NFL, as does every QB. Why not cash in now while you actually can?
Yep it’s all about the Benjamins, I’m sure some booster, coach or agent approached him about some booster NIL deal as part of the package plus he’s going somewhere where they run an air raid offense, not a power spread like Gus’.

Reactions: Knight Strength
It’s a team game. Games that would be close with him in like Cincy and SMU are now blowout losses.
Sure, with a third of the starters injured this year. DG played with an overall healthier team and with 5 more NFL guys on the roster. Ex: In the 3 losses in 2019 he threw 5 picks including red zone picks and a pick 6 against Cincy. Don't blame "the team" for those performances that pulled us down like a ball and chain. This ain't horseshoes and close losses don't earn a second place medal.

Sure, with a third of the starters injured this year. DG played with an overall healthier team and with 5 more NFL guys on the roster. Ex: In the 3 losses in 2019 he threw 5 picks including red zone picks and a pick 6 against Cincy. Don't blame "the team" for those performances that pulled us down like a ball and chain. This ain't horseshoes and close losses don't earn a second place medal.
Yeah I don’t need to go back and forth with you. If you don’t feel the offense was effected by DGs absence I’m sure you can justify it in your own mind. You sound like a lunatic to me though.

Exactly lose by 1 or 21 it is still a loss. Doesn’t matter if he threw 500 yards. Sucks he is leaving, would have been great to see what he could have done, but is isn’t to be. Hopefully Keene shows more progress or the the new guy is great. Anyone know why we didn’t utilize Parker Navarro more?

Didn’t he lead us back from big deficits to take the lead on Boise and Pitt? Is it his fault the defense gives up 50 and we can’t make routine field goals vs Memphis? Does any of this actually have to do with his ability to play QB? Which is light years ahead of our other QB options?
His demoralizing pick 6 in the Red zone created the deficit against Boise State, which Bowser led us back from, not DG. Further when we needed another strong drive to shut down the game in the fourth quarter he threw another pic to the same db. The defense had to bail him out in the final minutes of the game in order to avoid losing as a result of his disastrous play in the fourth quarter. Please don't try to rewrite history.

His demoralizing pick 6 in the Red zone created the deficit against Boise State, which Bowser led us back from, not DG. Further when we needed another strong drive to shut down the game in the fourth quarter he threw another pic to the same db. The defense had to bail him out in the final minutes of the game in order to avoid losing as a result of his disastrous play in the fourth quarter. Please don't try to rewrite history.
Sure boss, whatever you say. I’m sure Mikey Keene would throw for 300 yards and 4 TDs no problem.

Yeah I don’t need to go back and forth with you. If you don’t feel the offense was effected by DGs absence I’m sure you can justify it in your own mind. You sound like a lunatic to me though

DG was 18-8 and MK is 6-3. Math is hard.
He was 17-8. In his last full season, he was 6-4, i.e a 60% winner. Keene is 6-3, = 66%. 66>60 genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT