ADVERTISEMENT

USC/ UCLA to Big 10?

Hello my UCFriends. Here’s how I see realignment shaking out going forward:

- With the exception of Oregon and Washington joining the Big Ten, everything else depends on Notre Dame. Once the Irish realize they’ll make more money in the Big Ten even with the ACC’s exit fees, they’ll jump with Stanford in a package deal. That would give them 20 members.
- At that point, I’d imagine the only schools with value in the ACC (Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina) use Notre Dame’s exit as a way to get out of the grant of rights deal and find a way into the SEC.

The music’s about to stop and I fear both of us, Pitt and UCF, are going to be on the outside looking in.

Just have a bad feeling somehow usf ends up in the SEC (an even worse Vanderbilt they want as a cellar dweller in a new division.....the ultimate slump buster) and the first thing they do is cancel the stadium, admitting they couldn’t afford it.

And we end up in the MAC, starring in Tuesday Night MACtion.

Ugh.....

Looks like the big 2 for football and the rest of us for March madness. I wonder if the left behinds and others will band together and say GTFOH to the SEC and B1G when it comes to basketball and Olympic sports.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Just have a bad feeling somehow usf ends up in the SEC (an even worse Vanderbilt they want as a cellar dweller in a new division.....the ultimate slump buster) and the first thing they do is cancel the stadium, admitting they couldn’t afford it.

And we end up in the MAC, starring in Tuesday Night MACtion.

Ugh.....
Don’t do this to me.

- With the exception of Oregon and Washington joining the Big Ten, everything else depends on Notre Dame. Once the Irish realize they’ll make more money in the Big Ten even with the ACC’s exit fees, they’ll jump with Stanford in a package deal. That would give them 20 members.
- At that point, I’d imagine the only schools with value in the ACC (Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina) use Notre Dame’s exit as a way to get out of the grant of rights deal and find a way into the SEC.

The music’s about to stop and I fear both of us, Pitt and UCF, are going to be on the outside looking in.
Is the GOR dismantled if ND leaves?

I think your fear is justified. With the SEC grabbing Texas and Oklahoma, and the Big Ten grabbing USC and UCLA, you essentially have two super conferences. Don't be surprised when TV rights come along that these two Big Dawgs decide to say 'screw you' to the rest of the CFB world and form a college football alliance where bowl games and the national championship playoffs are determined between these two leagues.

Given the money and attention it wil garner, it would pressure Notre Dame to join up with the B1G and Clemson with the SEC.

And everybody else? As far as the Big Two superconferences are concerned, the rest of them can play for championships in their own second-tier conferences and play in their own bowl games and, perhaps, proclaim their own 'national' championship game. The Big Two won't care 'cause they're the ones with the big bucks and the mega-TV contracts.
But if that is the case, people outside those conferences are going to care less. They are not going to tune in. I wouldn't watch that shit. It just doesn't make any sense.

If college football splits up into a couple of different products, that product is going to be watered-down, and I can't see a situation where that is good for viewership, etc.... If the SEC and Big 10 form their own alliance, and their own title, why would I ever watch or care to watch it. I would watch whatever league we have a chance to win hardware in. It's like saying it was a great idea for the USFL to play all their games in Birmingham. Great way to build fanbases where the home city is....not. It was about the dumbest idea I have ever heard of.

Is the GOR dismantled if ND leaves?
Technically, no. However, my basis for this idea is similar to how a conference will look to re-negotiate a television/streaming deal when they add new members.

In this case, schools could (hypothetically) argue that the grant of rights agreement was signed under the assumption that Notre Dame would have a large presence in the conference. Their departure could help them make the case that they should not be bound by it because the conference is different than the one they signed the GOR agreement with.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I now think the Big 10 won't take Oregon and Washington.

Reason is, those states offer very few recruits.

Those schools have performed well in the last 10 years, but they have no leverage on having an abundance of in-state recruits.

Everyone should NOT watch ANY BIG10 or SEC games and watch their viewership fall. The only way it could stop this BS.
My city-slicker mind can't wrap itself around how/why these po-dunk SEC schools like MS, GA, TN, ARK, SC etc garner the attention they do. Yea I know they have legions of fans, lots of history blah blah but I went to MissState for several years and it's a region of the country I'd like to cut out and send floating to the Artic.

.....I guess I could say the same for most of our soon-to-be conference.....

Everyone should NOT watch ANY BIG10 or SEC games and watch their viewership fall. The only way it could stop this BS.

The only people truly against this is fanbases of universities negatively impacted by this. The general public is not bothered.

Most people here probably barely watch college football outside of UCF games anyways.

But if that is the case, people outside those conferences are going to care less. They are not going to tune in. I wouldn't watch that shit. It just doesn't make any sense.
Don't count on it. 34 of the top 50 TV markets are represented in either the SEC or the Big Ten, including the Top Five Markets (1. NY, 2. LA, 3. Chicago, 4. Philadelphia, and 5. Dallas) and eight of the top ten.

My city-slicker mind can't wrap itself around how/why these po-dunk SEC schools like MS, GA, TN, ARK, SC etc garner the attention they do. Yea I know they have legions of fans, lots of history blah blah but I went to MissState for several years and it's a region of the country I'd like to cut out and send floating to the Artic.

My 20 acre owning mind can't wrap itself around city bigots.

It's a historical thing. For ex, Ole Miss has been around since 1890s. There's deep history and tradition between these schools. That's pretty much what drives everything

Reactions: Endeavor.
Don't count on it. 34 of the top 50 TV markets are represented in either the SEC or the Big Ten, including the Top Five Markets (1. NY, 2. LA, 3. Chicago, 4. Philadelphia, and 5. Dallas) and eight of the top ten.
People in NYC give zero f*cvs about Rutgers.

the biggest winners in this whole thing is Nebraska. They have no business being in Big10. They bring less than Vanderbilt does to the SEC

Reactions: UCF_Kaz
Two major conferences. Break away from NCAA. Players get a salary cap so that all schools can be competitive. Have a draft out of high school. Avoid Title IX fiascos. The only thing I can see stopping this is that these schools are public institutions in many cases and getting into a for profit sports business may be against the law in some cases since it is so far out of the scope of their charters as universities.

I've always been on the fringe of Urban/country my whole life. Was never "one or the other".

So I'm confused as hell....but...

I do know that usf is f*cked.
Ah, I just don't like idiots who think they can define an entire community based on their bigoted life. An example that anyone can understand, the bigotry against blacks. I've lived in Georgia for over 15 years, lived the rest of my life in the North, and have met more racists in the north than I have in Georgia. (Only met 1 in Georgia, the other one was an ***hole that told my wife, a girl scout leader, "Don't let my daughter bunk in the same tent as the black girl." Can you imagine the ignorance? PS. Lived near Scranton PA and saw far more bigotry there than in the "South" (for example the "joke about the serial killer in Scranton who kill multiple blacks- "Why is x (he doesn't deserve a name) get the Nobel Prize? He took 6 people off welfare." No doubt racists are everywhere (tho much, much fewer than liberals want), but I came face to face with far more racists in the north, than I did in Georgia.

EDIT: Entirely off topic so no real need to respond.

It's a historical thing. For ex, Ole Miss has been around since 1890s. There's deep history and tradition between these schools. That's pretty much what drives everything
That's why the historical SEC teams like Vandy, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Kentucky -- and historical B1G teams like Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, and Northwestern are in the Superconference driver's seats while teams like Oregon, Washingon, Arizona, Arizona St. and Miami are going to likely be relegated to a whole new batch of second-tier conferences.

And yes, newbies like Nebraska, Texas A&M, Mizzou, Maryland, and Rutgers were in the right spots at the right time.

Lastly, I suspect Florida State and Clemson for the SEC and Stanford and Notre Dame for the B1G will get their superconference tickets punched before this reallignment business is over.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Ah, I just don't like idiots who think they can define an entire community based on their bigoted life. An example that anyone can understand, the bigotry against blacks. I've lived in Georgia for over 15 years, lived the rest of my life in the North, and have met more racists in the north than I have in Georgia. (Only met 1 in Georgia, the other one was an ***hole that told my wife, a girl scout leader, "Don't let my daughter bunk in the same tent as the black girl." Can you imagine the ignorance? PS. Lived near Scranton PA and saw far more bigotry there than in the "South" (for example the "joke about the serial killer in Scranton who kill multiple blacks- "Why is x (he doesn't deserve a name) get the Nobel Prize? He took 6 people off welfare." No doubt racists are everywhere (tho much, much fewer than liberals want), but I came face to face with far more racists in the north, than I did in Georgia.

EDIT: Entirely off topic so no real need to respond.
Who the hell mentioned bigotry here (but you)?

Two major conferences. Break away from NCAA. Players get a salary cap so that all schools can be competitive. Have a draft out of high school. Avoid Title IX fiascos. The only thing I can see stopping this is that these schools are public institutions in many cases and getting into a for profit sports business may be against the law in some cases since it is so far out of the scope of their charters as universities.
Why are football programs still associated with the University? Why are students being forced to go to school to play?

The teams of today are nothing like the rec teams that played 150 years ago.

What's holding back the players and coaches from simply just starting their own independent team. That's what this is heading to

Reactions: Stormthecourt?

Yes sadly there’s no longer seats at the table, there’s not even a table. It’s just… nothing now.

would the remainders from every P5 even want to form their own championship? It’s the ultimate defeat. Billions in infrastructure at every school wasted

Yes sadly there’s no longer seats at the table, there’s not even a table. It’s just… nothing now.

would the remainders from every P5 even want to form their own championship? It’s the ultimate defeat. Billions in infrastructure at every school wasted
Personally, I’m hoping Pitt and Syracuse go all-in on basketball and return to the Big East. Like I said on the national board, we were Pittsburgh’s basketball team when we were really good, filling the NBA void in the city. It helps that we already replaced our football stadium with an arena! :oops:

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT