ADVERTISEMENT

DG enters transfer portal

I warned everyone of DG’s transfer weeks ago and was laughed at, many concluding I must’ve heard it at Tijuana Flats. And look how that turned out. lol
The reason for your rumor was UL and how he got hurt. I think he didn’t like Gus from the start. He was going to transfer when Lebby didn’t get the job but stayed. He was leaving if he got injured or not in Louisville. Everything else was fuel to fire.

Oklahoma Expected to Hire Jeff Lebby as Offensive Coordinator.
The DG transfer could get interesting. I don't think he transfers to Mississippi if Lebby leaves. He would face strong QB competition at Oklahoma.

• Haha
Reactions: PhDee and FoxKnight
I don't think DG is a Frost guy though in the end. He's Lebby or bust, pretty damn clear. It's also clear he's got it in his mind that he's a world-beater so I think heading to OU and getting into a competition is possible. He might not win, but he seems to love Lebby enough to give it a go if there's a chance for it. Who the hell knows, maybe he also really likes Lane.

I don't think DG is a Frost guy though in the end. He's Lebby or bust, pretty damn clear. It's also clear he's got it in his mind that he's a world-beater so I think heading to OU and getting into a competition is possible. He might not win, but he seems to love Lebby enough to give it a go if there's a chance for it. Who the hell knows, maybe he also really likes Lane.
Caleb Williams is no slouch lol

I find it interesting that there is largely not a peep about Gabriel being this bad teammate. Not Milton level leader, but certainly not starting fights with a kicker on the sideline level. Now there is all these pieces of info after he announces he is leaving that makes him sound like a mustache twirling villain. I'm waiting to hear the story about how he walked on campus tearing a UCF jersey to reveal his new team and then cutting a wrestling promo.

Sounds like he should of just left in February when he originally wanted to, but everyone including Malzahn asked for him to stay and give it a go that end up not working out for either side.

Reactions: Knight Strength
bc no current player is going to let out much when he is your starting Quarterback

it is similar to when Coaches leave and we have had multiple examples of it. But with Frost as much as the Dungeon tried to make a villain players mostly praised him and still do

I doubt he goes to Oklahoma. If he wins job , Caleb leaves and Lebby is screwed for future. Ole Miss buys players. Always has. That’s probably where he goes.
Spot on! Why would Lebby bench his starting stud QB with several years left for a 1 in out QB. Although looking at history Oklahoma has lived off of QB transfers for several years prior to this year.

Martinez IS a good quarterback. Maybe not a great one, but he is a good quarterback.

If you need a great quarterback to be able to win more than four games in a season, then maybe your problems go beyond the quarterback.
Everything about this is wrong, He's not a good QB. Nebraska set an all-time record for single digit losses in a season, and in about half of those losses they were done in by late Martinez mistake. An above average QB wins 8 games pretty easily for Nebraska this year.

Everything about this is wrong, He's not a good QB. Nebraska set an all-time record for single digit losses in a season, and in about half of those losses they were done in by late Martinez mistake. An above average QB wins 8 games pretty easily for Nebraska this year.
So, if for 4 years straight a coach starts a QB who is not even good, do you really want to say that the only problem is with the qb? I think your premise is a little shaky. What about a coach who would put him out there for 4 years if that were the case?

Although I remain disappointed in how Frost left UCF, I still think Frost is a good coach and, as such, and as a former championship quarterback, he knows a good quarterback when he sees one, and that's why he stuck with Martinez for 4 years. If you want to disagree with that go right ahead but I think you are digging an even deeper hole with the argument that Frost kept a bad QB on the field for 4 years.

So, if for 4 years straight a coach starts a QB who is not even good, do you really want to say that the only problem is with the qb? I think your premise is a little shaky. What about a coach who would put him out there for 4 years if that were the case?

Although I remain disappointed in how Frost left UCF, I still think Frost is a good coach and, as such, and as a former championship quarterback, he knows a good quarterback when he sees one, and that's why he stuck with Martinez for 4 years. If you want to disagree with that go right ahead but I think you are digging an even deeper hole with the argument that Frost kept a bad QB on the field for 4 years.
Absolutely he kept a bad QB on the field for 4 years. He thought he was the QB whisperer after he found Milton. Martinez was his guy from day one in Lincoln, and he was going to live or die with that guy, and while his job is not dead it’s definitely on life support. Frost definitely deserves all the blame for not finding anybody to challenge Martinez at QB during his tenure.

And previous years Martinez definitely wasn’t the only thing holding them back, but this year their defense was quite good. A 4th year starter has to be able to get them more than 4 wins with how well that defense played.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Absolutely he kept a bad QB on the field for 4 years. He thought he was the QB whisperer after he found Milton. Martinez was his guy from day one in Lincoln, and he was going to live or die with that guy, and while his job is not dead it’s definitely on life support. Frost definitely deserves all the blame for not finding anybody to challenge Martinez at QB during his tenure.

And previous years Martinez definitely wasn’t the only thing holding them back, but this year their defense was quite good. A 4th year starter has to be able to get them more than 4 wins with how well that defense played.
I agree with you that Martinez made a number of mistakes, some of them big ones this year. But I say that he was a good qb, not regarding the outcomes, but in terms of his physical talent and how he was generally capable of using it on the field. Again, I don't feel like he was great, and not even to a level of being" very good", but I will grade him as "good" based on talent and the fact that he got them to within one score games in so many Big 10 contests. I don't think an average qb can achieve that in such a competitive conference.
But I do understand your position as well, that he made mistakes at inopportune times and that his grade must take that into consideration. To put it in numbers, I maybe knocked about 15% off where I would grade him because of that and, maybe, you deducted about 25% or so for those late game mistakes. But in concept we agree, he did make mistakes that impacted some game outcomes.

I really don't care if DG leaves, but I would have appreciated he staying...next man up. It's all business. I get it. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. He had a good gig here and he ran this offense. He was the focal point of UCF football. It seems like a huge risk giving up the throne for a something completely unknown. Given the circumstances, that is not something I would entertain, just my humble opinion. Now considering Lebby bolting to OU, even more of a gamble. Good luck DG, best wishes brother. Make your decision and roll w/it.

The reason for your rumor was UL and how he got hurt. I think he didn’t like Gus from the start. He was going to transfer when Lebby didn’t get the job but stayed. He was leaving if he got injured or not in Louisville. Everything else was fuel to fire.
Regardless of what I was told of his impetus to leave (which I‘ve heard several times from different sources), many brushed off whispers I heard of his departure as nothing more than fabricated belches from the Tijuana Flats rumor mill. Yet a week later, DG’s official announcement came. lol

Regardless of what I was told of his impetus to leave (which I‘ve heard several times from different sources), many brushed off whispers I heard of his departure as nothing more than fabricated belches from the Tijuana Flats rumor mill. Yet a week later, DG’s official announcement came. lol
Yes that’s true. I think he knew before he got hurt he wasn’t feeling the new staff. But yes a week or so after.

He should probably go back to Hawaii because everything else sounds like it will be a disappointment. All the fans were hoping he would do is run for a 5 yard gain occasionally. He got hurt because he did things he shouldn’t have on the field. Now other than FCS football his options are limited. At least in Hawaii he’d be close to home. If he wanted to admit he was wrong and play within the system and his abilities I’d take him back in a heartbeat.

Reactions: PhDee and FoxKnight
He should probably go back to Hawaii because everything else sounds like it will be a disappointment. All the fans were hoping he would do is run for a 5 yard gain occasionally. He got hurt because he did things he shouldn’t have on the field. Now other than FCS football his options are limited. At least in Hawaii he’d be close to home. If he wanted to admit he was wrong and play within the system and his abilities I’d take him back in a heartbeat.
do u have info we don’t bc I’m sure he has options. He visited Ole Miss last weekend

now maybe the list isn’t as long as I originally assumed but if that is the case it is either bc the Coach may have looked into off the field attitude or they are still worried about reinjury of that throwing shoulder

Can't imagine a QB that was ranked in the top 20 for his Freshman and Sophomore seasons isn't getting recruited by programs all over the country.

Someone from an outside looking at his 4 losses from the past two years where he had 14 Tds and 3 INTs, is probably not thinking he is the problem.

I didn't think he would sell out.....and he did. I thought...no way does he leave. :(

Can't imagine a QB that was ranked in the top 20 for his Freshman and Sophomore seasons isn't getting recruited by programs all over the country.

Someone from an outside looking at his 4 losses from the past two years where he had 14 Tds and 3 INTs, is probably not thinking he is the problem.
could also watch the tape and think he is a system QB. not many offenses go that fast like the one read Heupel Air Raid . arm talent is there though , interested in how many offers he has or will get

could also watch the tape and think he is a system QB. not many offenses go that fast like the one read Heupel Air Raid . arm talent is there though , interested in how many offers he has or will get
There is coaches that will adapt to the talent available. Won't change completely, but also will alter the playbook for the strength of a key player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT