ADVERTISEMENT

DG enters transfer portal

I can’t read that SI guy’s articles anymore ..annoying writing style and too much of a homer

Look, here’s the thing. When Heupel first came here and had KZ, he kept many aspects of the previous Scott Frost offense. When DG came around, it was full on Heupel’s offense… you know, the run up the middle, bubble screen, throw deep offense. That was highly successful in the beginning. However, once teams started going to the 3 down linemen look, We had a hard time adjusting. Whether that’s on Heup, DG, or both, we’ll never know. In reality, we’d take that offensive production any day over what we saw this season… we got spoiled a bit.

By the way, do you guy remember when we first faced that 3-3-5? It was against Cinci in 2019. That was all DC Marcus Freeman’s baby right there, and every team started copying his scheme. With him about to get the ND job, I can’t think of anyone more deserving than him. He was the one to neuter DG and our offense a bit.

Look, here’s the thing. When Heupel first came here and had KZ, he kept many aspects of the previous Scott Frost offense. When DG came around, it was full on Heupel’s offense… you know, the run up the middle, bubble screen, throw deep offense. That was highly successful in the beginning. However, once teams started going to the 3 down linemen look, We had a hard time adjusting. Whether that’s on Heup, DG, or both, we’ll never know. In reality, we’d take that offensive production any day over what we saw this season… we got spoiled a bit.

By the way, do you guy remember when we first faced that 3-3-5? It was against Cinci in 2019. That was all DC Marcus Freeman’s baby right there, and every team started copying his scheme. With him about to get the ND job, I can’t think of anyone more deserving than him. He was the one to neuter DG and our offense a bit.
They won that game due to 4 turnovers including 2 picks in the end zone (one where receiver slipped). and a third pick returned for a touchdown. UCF outgained them convincingly and had 10 more first downs. But hard to win a road game against a good opponent when -3 in the turnover department. 2020 went much better.

If Miami fires Manny in a few days and Lane Train says yes ..that would be an interesting domino effect

If Miami fires Manny in a few days and Lane Train says yes ..that would be an interesting domino effect
Would be a weird move, Miami currently paying Manny Diaz $3.1 million. Lane Kiffin makes $5 million if he doesn't leave this year. They have to almost double the salary to even make financial sense for Lane.

Also think Manny Diaz get's another year. due to the emergence of Van Dyke. Feels very similar to Taggart at USF, ready to be kicked out and then Flowers took over.

Would be a weird move, Miami currently paying Manny Diaz $3.1 million. Lane Kiffin makes $5 million if he doesn't leave this year. They have to almost double the salary to even make financial sense for Lane.

Also think Manny Diaz get's another year. due to the emergence of Van Dyke. Feels very similar to Taggart at USF, ready to be kicked out and then Flowers took over.
Manny needs to make something happen immediately. The ACC is ripe for a takeover right now with Clemson falling off.

The problem with Manny is that his bread and butter, the defense, was awful. Also, his recruiting has really slipped

Miami media and fans seem to think he will be fired by Saturday night .

Miami may be putting feelers out there, and finding out that keeping Manny is much more prudent option right now.
They have to go younger offensive mind type guy or just keep Diaz until next year when less top jobs are open.

Miami may be putting feelers out there, and finding out that keeping Manny is much more prudent option right now.
The problem with miami is they try to hang onto their 5 nattys. Impressive yes, but when u peel the layers of the onion they offer nothing more thn USF. Garbage facilities, nfl stadium 30 miles drom campus, fickle fanbase. Their last relevant team was 2 decades ago

Miami doesn't have an AD. Maybe they should address that then go get a coach. But it seems to have worked out well for Mario Cristobal, heard he is getting a raise.

In other news, Clemson backup QB is in the portal and so is one of their WRs (who is from Miami, might want to come back to the sunshine state).

Honestly, I want DL, OL and LB help. I will trust that Gus thinks he has his guy at QB, but a backup might not be out of the question. Maybe another RB.

Miami doesn't have an AD. Maybe they should address that then go get a coach. But it seems to have worked out well for Mario Cristobal, heard he is getting a raise.

In other news, Clemson backup QB is in the portal and so is one of their WRs (who is from Miami, might want to come back to the sunshine state).

Honestly, I want DL, OL and LB help. I will trust that Gus thinks he has his guy at QB, but a backup might not be out of the question. Maybe another RB.
I’m assuming he’s 3rd string at Clemson because isn’t their backup going to LSU?

This is the difference between UCF and Cincinnati. Desmond RIdder played all four years with Cincinnati. The variable in this equation: Cincinnati has kept the same coach over Ridders career. Coaching stability is the key.😎

I wonder if DG would have transferred even if he didn’t get hurt. Seemed like things were brewing even before the season. Imagine if we were 10-2 with him at QB and then he decides to transfer, and how even more upset we’d be about that.

I wonder if DG would have transferred even if he didn’t get hurt. Seemed like things were brewing even before the season. Imagine if we were 10-2 with him at QB and then he decides to transfer, and how even more upset we’d be about that.
Whats crazy is if we were 10-2 we still would be in the same spot 3rd in confrence, no championship.

Seems to be clear now DG is a "me" guy. I don't know if 10-2 mattered as much to him as putting up huge numbers. If he were able to put up big production I think he tries the draft regardless of the record.

Reactions: Yaes
With Lebby likely following venables, I wonder How that impacts DG

Yes very interesting. You’d think Lebby is the main reason why he took a visit to Ole Miss, but it’s quite possible he developed a good enough relationship with Lane (who just signed an extension) during that visit that he still goes there

This is the difference between UCF and Cincinnati. Desmond RIdder played all four years with Cincinnati. The variable in this equation: Cincinnati has kept the same coach over Ridders career. Coaching stability is the key.😎
That is why I didn’t want some up and comer that would gone in two years. You don’t build an identity that way

Reactions: knight_tracker
Yes very interesting. You’d think Lebby is the main reason why he took a visit to Ole Miss, but it’s quite possible he developed a good enough relationship with Lane (who just signed an extension) during that visit that he still goes there
interesting..Lane is good with QBs but doesn’t have the relationship.

Reactions: Knight Strength
fickell was an up and comer when he got the cincy job. they just got lucky he's a homebody.
True but what I was getting at, it would really suck to lose another coach in two years. I think Gus is a good hire for us going into the big 12. We are still building a program and losing coaches every couple of years will set us back. We need a foundation built for the big 12, just like O’Leary built a foundation for us. Just my thought on it. Maybe someday we get lucky and Kevin Smith will be the guy

True but what I was getting at, it would really suck to lose another coach in two years. I think Gus is a good hire for us going into the big 12. We are still building a program and losing coaches every couple of years will set us back. We need a foundation built for the big 12, just like O’Leary built a foundation for us. Just my thought on it. Maybe someday we get lucky and Kevin Smith will be the guy
Gus is gone after the first good season he has here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT